-   -   configure error - how to debug (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/395662-configure-error-how-debug.html)

Eray Aslan 07-06-2010 04:13 PM

configure error - how to debug

On 06.07.2010 18:55, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> ./configure: line 14859: test: too many arguments
>
> Looking at this line it shows
> if test $ax_python_header != no; then

Wild guess (since you did not mention which ebuild):

quote the variable and try again, i.e. something like

--
Eray

Alex Schuster 07-06-2010 05:34 PM

Helmut Jarausch writes:

> I'm trying to find out why I get a configure error (on one machine)
>
> ./configure: line 14859: test: too many arguments
>
> Looking at this line it shows
> if test $ax_python_header != no; then
>
> So, how can I find out the value of $ax_python_header.
>
> Putting some echo statements into configure doesn't work,
> it seems to regenerated on each 'ebuild .... compile'

I'd call the configure script by hand, search for it in /var/tmp/portage.
If it gives the same error (which may not be the case because you do not
give it the same arguments as portage does), add the echo statement, and
try again to see the value of $ax_python_header. I guess it has whitespace
in it, so the test fails. This would be solved by quoting the variable.
The configure script is created from something like configure.ac, you will
probably find the test statement there, too. You could change it (adding
quotes), and use ebuild ... compile to build.

Please file a bug for the package.

Wonko

Helmut Jarausch 07-06-2010 06:15 PM

On 07/06/10 19:34:29, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch writes:
>
> > I'm trying to find out why I get a configure error (on one machine)
> >
> > ./configure: line 14859: test: too many arguments
> >
> > Looking at this line it shows
> > if test $ax_python_header != no; then
> >
> > So, how can I find out the value of $ax_python_header.
> >
> > Putting some echo statements into configure doesn't work,
> > it seems to regenerated on each 'ebuild .... compile'
>
> I'd call the configure script by hand, search for it in
> /var/tmp/portage.
> If it gives the same error (which may not be the case because you do
> not
> give it the same arguments as portage does), add the echo statement,
> and
> try again to see the value of $ax_python_header. I guess it has
> whitespace
> in it, so the test fails. This would be solved by quoting the
> variable.
> The configure script is created from something like configure.ac, you
> will
> probably find the test statement there, too. You could change it
> (adding
> quotes), and use ebuild ... compile to build.
>
> Please file a bug for the package.

Many thanks, Alex.

It turned out that pythonmagick's configure contains
ax_python_header=
`locate python$python_version/Python.h | sed -e s,/Python.h,,`

which I regard as very strange style.

Since I have a mirror /Store1/usr_mirror
locate locates both
/usr/include/python2.6
and
/Store1/usr_mirror/include/python2.6