Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On 07/05/10 22:09:09, Arttu V. wrote:
> On 7/5/10, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > MAKEOPTS=-j1 didn't help
> >
> > instead of
> > /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
> > python2.6/site-packages
> >
> > there is a file
> > /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
> > /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >
> > note lib not lib64
> > python2.5 not python2.6
> >
> > eselect python list gives
> > Available Python interpreters:
> > [1] python2.6 *
> > [2] python3.1
> >
> > So, where does this come from?
>
> Unfortunately I have no more theories, short of broken python on
> Gentoo (not just on your box). I can reproduce the problem in a test
> environment I keep using, so it's probably not something due to,
> e.g.,
> a need for revdep-rebuild or python-updater (although running them
> rarely hurts).
>
> But could tell us a bit more about the system on which this does
> *not*
> happen? How is it different? Is it an x86 or amd64? multilib? Is it a
> more recent install than the other one (so that there should be no
> left-over cruft from, e.g., old python versions)?

Sorry to say, but I don't know the difference.
Both have nearly identical hardware (AMD Phenom II, same chipset)
Both are updated each day (~amd64) and both have nearly the same set
of packages installed.

This raises the question on how to compare two different Gentoo
installations?

Many thanks Arttu,
I'm glad you see the problem, as well.

I have many, many packages of dev-python/ installed.
Up to now media-gfx/exact-image is the only one which
causes trouble.

So, I'm lost right now.
(though exact-image is not an essential package for me at the moment)

Helmut.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
"Arttu V."

On 7/5/10, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> instead of
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
> python2.6/site-packages
>
> there is a file
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages

I found something related to that. The install path seems to be
semi-hardcoded in the sources, at api/python/Makefile:

$(Q)mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/python2.5/site-packages/

That will create a path suitable for python version 2.5 (maybe that
one box of yours still has it?), but no others.

I filed a bug (#327171).

--
Arttu V.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
"Arttu V."

On 7/6/10, Arttu V. <arttuv69@gmail.com> wrote:
> I filed a bug (#327171).

The bug is marked fixed, and at least on my testing system emerge
exact-image is successful.

--
Arttu V.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 07/09/10 14:02:39, Arttu V. wrote:
> On 7/6/10, Arttu V. <arttuv69@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I filed a bug (#327171).
>
> The bug is marked fixed, and at least on my testing system emerge
> exact-image is successful.

Yes, it installs just fine now (unfortunately no revision bump, so I
didn't notice myself).
Helmut.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:19:53 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> > The bug is marked fixed, and at least on my testing system emerge
> > exact-image is successful.
> >
> Yes, it installs just fine now (unfortunately no revision bump, so I
> didn't notice myself).

The revision isn't bumped when an installation problem is fixed, because
that would cause people to reinstall when the previous version worked.
The basic rule is that if the installed files are not changed, the
revision should not be.

--
Neil Bothwick

Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will remember. Involve me, and
I will learn.