FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
"Arttu V."
 
Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On 7/5/10, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> this errors baffles me.
>
> Emerging media-gfx/exact-image works just fine on one machine
> but fails on a very similar (Gentoo) machine with
> install: target `/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//
> usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/' is not a directory: No such file or
> directory
>
> Has anybody an idea where this strange install path might come from?

Can you be more specific on the 'strangeness'? Which part looks odd?

For a quick glimpse it would seem to be a regular temporary 'image'
directory which is part of every package's install phase. Only once
files have been successfully installed under this temporary 'image'
(directory) will portage merge that directory's contents to respective
real directories.

As for the error itself, it could be a parallel make problem (goes
temporarily away with MAKE_OPTS="-j1", but should still be reported at
bugs.gentoo.org) or a lazy installer script which isn't properly
creating the directories to which it will try to install files (which
should also be reported at b.g.o, as it might be a gentoo-only
problem).

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors
 
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On 07/05/10 17:39:36, Arttu V. wrote:
> On 7/5/10, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > this errors baffles me.
> >
> > Emerging media-gfx/exact-image works just fine on one machine
> > but fails on a very similar (Gentoo) machine with
> > install: target `/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/
> image//
> > usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/' is not a directory: No such
> file
> or
> > directory
> >
> > Has anybody an idea where this strange install path might come
> from?
>
> Can you be more specific on the 'strangeness'? Which part looks odd?
>
> For a quick glimpse it would seem to be a regular temporary 'image'
> directory which is part of every package's install phase. Only once
> files have been successfully installed under this temporary 'image'
> (directory) will portage merge that directory's contents to
> respective
> real directories.
>
> As for the error itself, it could be a parallel make problem (goes
> temporarily away with MAKE_OPTS="-j1", but should still be reported
> at
> bugs.gentoo.org) or a lazy installer script which isn't properly
> creating the directories to which it will try to install files (which
> should also be reported at b.g.o, as it might be a gentoo-only
> problem).
>
> --
> Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors
>

Thanks!
MAKEOPTS=-j1 didn't help

instead of
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
python2.6/site-packages

there is a file
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages

note lib not lib64
python2.5 not python2.6

eselect python list gives
Available Python interpreters:
[1] python2.6 *
[2] python3.1

So, where does this come from?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.
 
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:35:41 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> instead of
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
> python2.6/site-packages
>
> there is a file
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
>
> note lib not lib64

/lib is usually symlinked to /lib64 on amd6 systems.

> python2.5 not python2.6

Have you tried running python-updater?


--
Neil Bothwick

Become a gynaecologist, look up a friend today.
 
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM
"Arttu V."
 
Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On 7/5/10, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> MAKEOPTS=-j1 didn't help
>
> instead of
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
> python2.6/site-packages
>
> there is a file
> /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
>
> note lib not lib64
> python2.5 not python2.6
>
> eselect python list gives
> Available Python interpreters:
> [1] python2.6 *
> [2] python3.1
>
> So, where does this come from?

Unfortunately I have no more theories, short of broken python on
Gentoo (not just on your box). I can reproduce the problem in a test
environment I keep using, so it's probably not something due to, e.g.,
a need for revdep-rebuild or python-updater (although running them
rarely hurts).

But could tell us a bit more about the system on which this does *not*
happen? How is it different? Is it an x86 or amd64? multilib? Is it a
more recent install than the other one (so that there should be no
left-over cruft from, e.g., old python versions)?

--
Arttu V.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default Strange install path but only on one machine

On 07/05/10 21:55:10, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:35:41 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>
> > instead of
> > /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image//usr/lib64/
> > python2.6/site-packages
> >
> > there is a file
> > /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image
> > /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >
> > note lib not lib64
>
> /lib is usually symlinked to /lib64 on amd6 systems.

Yes, /lib is symlinked to /lib64 but
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image/usr/lib is not a
symlink. Thus,
cd /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exact-image-0.8.1/image/usr/lib64/
just fails.
>
> > python2.5 not python2.6
>
> Have you tried running python-updater?
Yes, and I have run just once more but it doesn't help.
Furthermore I've run lafilefixer and
symlinks -dr /usr/lib64 /usr/include

Many thanks, Neil,
Helmut.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org