Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default (gnome) default pdf viewer

Hi,

I've discovered balsa , a great mail client, btw.
How can I configure the application which is called for a pdf
attachment.

I cannot see any configuration item for balsa itself, so I suppose
it must be a Gnome setting.

Currently it's set to acroread, but I'd like to set it evince.
I've checked ~/.mime.types and several files in /usr/share/mime*

The only file I've found is
/usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.keys

Is that the right place? How should I edit it (with a standard text
editor?)

Many thanks for your help,
Helmut.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 AM
App Deb

Right click on a pdf file, select properties -> open with -> and select evince instead of acroread.
That it the way to easily change default applications for gnome.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 07/07/10 12:45:05, App Deb wrote:
> Right click on a pdf file, select properties -> open with -> and
> select
> evince instead of acroread.
>
> That it the way to easily change default applications for gnome.

Unfortunately, not for me (Gnome 2.30)
Before and after the above procedure I have

gnomevfs-info MyFile.pdf
still shows
MIME type : application/pdf
Default app : wine-extension-pdf.desktop

I wonder where this 'wine-extension-pdf.desktop' is coming from.

And Balsa tries to use this when viewing a pdf attachment.
I'm lost,
Helmut.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
App Deb

This is installed from wine applications, and yes unfortunately they can create a mess (like making the wine "notepad" the default text editor).
You need to delete those mime applications that wine creates under your home folder.

Try something like:rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine

or search and delete the file that you told me (wine-extension-pdf).

The previous gnome instructions I told you should have worked though.