Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Default /usr/bin/time is in what package?

Hi,

in what package can I find /usr/bin/time (not the shell's builtin) ?

Or, in other more general words: How can I find a package which
contains a certain installable file?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
justin

On 04/07/10 10:22, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in what package can I find /usr/bin/time (not the shell's builtin) ?
>
> Or, in other more general words: How can I find a package which
> contains a certain installable file?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
> Best regards,
> mcc

sys-process/time

Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 10:22 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in what package can I find /usr/bin/time (not the shell's builtin) ?

sys-process/time

> Or, in other more general words: How can I find a package which
> contains a certain installable file?

In general you can't because, when you think about it, in the Gentoo
world most packages don't contain "installable files". The files don't
get created until build time, and then the files that are installed
depends variably on USE flags, CFLAGS, architecture, FEATURES, etc. etc.
So the set of installed files created by a package on my system can be
different than the set of files created by the same package on your
system.

But people don't like that answer. So there is a statistical, though
not always accurate way of finding out:

http://www.portagefilelist.de/

Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Mick

On Sunday 04 July 2010 09:22:55 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in what package can I find /usr/bin/time (not the shell's builtin) ?
>
> Or, in other more general words: How can I find a package which
> contains a certain installable file?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

It's part of /bin/busybox I think so running qfile time will not show it up
and which time won't get you closer either.
Mick