Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Is Gentoo on the Sales block?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:47:04PM +0000, James wrote:

> I only ask because Sun just paid
> a billion dollars for MySQL....

Sun paid a billion dollars for the COMPANY which owns the copyright to
MySQL. Someone controls Gentoo, be it the foundation (which may or
may not actually exist at the moment) or who knows who. If those
people, or the foundation, want to "sell" Gentoo, I reckon they could,
but they would get only the name and a few servers. No doubt everyone
else would merely fork the GPL'd sources and keep on going.

MySQL is also GPL, but most of the development is paid for by the
for-profit company which Sun just bought, so a fork is unlikely.

> How is it that Open Source is for sale?

Open Source is not for sale and was not sold, neither is GPL'd Free
Software. Someone could no doubt buy some FLOSS copyrights from the
owners, but the GPL'd versions would still be out there and not for
sale; someone who wanted to "buy" already released sources would have
to buy up every public copy and every copy ever downloaded, and sign
the "sellers" (if they can even be called that) to promise to wipe
their drives. They would, literally, have to buy every copy on the
planet, whether on current computers, backups, books, it would not
matter.

You need to read the GPL, the BSD license, the Perl Artistic license,
etc, and stop panicing. Once released, FLOSS cannot be recalled. The
copyrights can be bought, but the previously released versions are
still out there under their FLOSS license and could only be recalled
by that massive buyback I described, which could charitably be called
less realistic than a snowball fight in Hell.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Brian Marshall

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:47:04 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I only ask because Sun just paid
> a billion dollars for MySQL....
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/16/sun-mysql_1.html
>
> How is it that Open Source is for sale?
MySQL is a company.

> Is gentoo next?
Gentoo no longer exists legally, so I wouldn't worry.

Brian

Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-01-17, Brian Marshall <snail@beyondboredom.net> wrote:

> Gentoo no longer exists legally, so I wouldn't worry.

It exists illegally?

On my computers?

I'm an outlaw!

This is more exciting that I thought...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Thank god!!... It's
at HENNY YOUNGMAN!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Michael Schmarck

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I only ask because Sun just paid
> a billion dollars for MySQL....
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/16/sun-mysql_1.html
>
> How is it that Open Source is for sale?

What do you mean with that? Sun bought MySQL AB, a company
in Sweden (or that's where they originally were located).
Most of the work in the OS MySQL database is sponsored by
MySQL AB.

> GPL?

A license. What about it?

42 C.

> Is gentoo next?

No. There's nothing you can buy.

Michael

Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 17 January 2008, James wrote:
> I only ask because Sun just paid
> a billion dollars for MySQL....
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/16/sun-mysql_1.html
>
> How is it that Open Source is for sale?

It's not. MySQL (the company) is for sale and Sun buys the customer
base.

> GPL?

Yeah, what does this mean? MySQL's software is distributed under the
terms of the GPL as an open source product. They have a more
restrictive license for their super-duper products that isn't GPL.
Doesn't affect ownership of the business in any way.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:49:43 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Yeah, what does this mean? MySQL's software is distributed under the
> terms of the GPL as an open source product. They have a more
> restrictive license for their super-duper products that isn't GPL.

The also sell MySQL under another licence, for companies that want to use
it in a closed source package.

--
Neil Bothwick

Welcome to the world of Windows Vista. Stay a while -- stay foooreveeer.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 17 January 2008 05:08:56 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-01-17, Brian Marshall <snail@beyondboredom.net> wrote:
> > Gentoo no longer exists legally, so I wouldn't worry.
>
> It exists illegally?
>
> On my computers?
>
> I'm an outlaw!
>
> This is more exciting that I thought...

No, Brian said it doesn't exist "legally", which is not the same thing
as "lawfully".

Properly, "legally" means "in law", whereas the word for "in compliance with
a law" is "lawfully". Of course things change, and nearly always for the
worse, so such niceties become mere memories.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Kristian Poul Herkild

James skrev:
> I only ask because Sun just paid
> a billion dollars for MySQL....
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/16/sun-mysql_1.html
>
> How is it that Open Source is for sale?
>
> GPL?
>

> Is gentoo next?
>

> James

FLOSS != Gratis. There is no problem in buying either Open Source or
Free Software. FLOSS is not against Capitalism you know. It is merely
against MS EULA's

-kristian herkild