FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Graham Murray
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

After an emerge --sync on an ~x86 system, the upgrade to opera-10.60
wants to install libpng-1.2.44 in a new slot. Considering all of the
problems surrounding the upgrade to libpng-1.4.3, is it safe to let
portage install libpng-1.2.44?
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Keith Dart
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

=== On Fri, 07/02, Graham Murray wrote: ===
> After an emerge --sync on an ~x86 system, the upgrade to opera-10.60
> wants to install libpng-1.2.44 in a new slot. Considering all of the
> problems surrounding the upgrade to libpng-1.4.3, is it safe to let
> portage install libpng-1.2.44?

===

Yes, but be prepared for some extra work and a lengthy upgrade (half
your system will be recompiled). However, I have not tried Opera, but
it should work.

See flameeye's blog first. But ignore the part about
the libpng-1.4.x-update.sh script being a hack. I found that necessary
and it worked for me.


-- Keith Dart

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
public key: ID: 19017044
<http://www.dartworks.biz/>
================================================== ===================
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Dale
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

Keith Dart wrote:

=== On Fri, 07/02, Graham Murray wrote: ===


After an emerge --sync on an ~x86 system, the upgrade to opera-10.60
wants to install libpng-1.2.44 in a new slot. Considering all of the
problems surrounding the upgrade to libpng-1.4.3, is it safe to let
portage install libpng-1.2.44?


===

Yes, but be prepared for some extra work and a lengthy upgrade (half
your system will be recompiled). However, I have not tried Opera, but
it should work.

See flameeye's blog first. But ignore the part about
the libpng-1.4.x-update.sh script being a hack. I found that necessary
and it worked for me.


-- Keith Dart




This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version. If
I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but now
something needs the old package installed in addition to the new one.


OP, my thinking is this. Be prepared for some packages to rebuild when
you run revdep-rebuild. Part of me says that there won't be any but one
can never be certain of these things. Also, when I did my upgrade I
had no GUI until it rebuilt the packages. Again, one can never be
certain of these things. I would do this:


emerge opera
run revdep-rebuild -i and say a prayer if you think it will help.
emerge -uvDNa world and hope it comes out clean, provided it was clean
before you started this.


Wouldn't hurt to have a second puter around to get help here if you run
into trouble. ;-)


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:49:30 -0500, Dale wrote:

> This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
> wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version.
> If I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but now
> something needs the old package installed in addition to the new one.

The joys of running binary software...


--
Neil Bothwick

A seminar on time travel will be held 2 weeks ago.
 
Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Keith Dart
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

=== On Fri, 07/02, Dale wrote: ===
> This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
> wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version.
> If I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but
> now something needs the old package installed in addition to the new
> one.

===

Oh right, sorry, didn't look closely enough.

I would recommend avoiding that until Opera is upgraded. I did have for
a while both 1.2 and 1.4 slots installed and some things got dynamically
linked with both of them. That caused me some problems.

Overall, libpng12 to libpng14 was a real pain... But now that's over
with.



-- Keith Dart

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
public key: ID: 19017044
<http://www.dartworks.biz/>
================================================== ===================
 
Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Graham Murray
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:

> This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
> wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version.
> If I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but
> now something needs the old package installed in addition to the new
> one.

As it happens the issue was moot for me, but I am sure that some people
were caught out. I said 'No' to the 'emerge -auDvN @world' and
waited. Later I saw a new bugzilla entry
(https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=326583) about unneeded opera
dependency on libpng. So I waited until after the fix was announced and
in the tree and resynced, and it no longer wanted to install
libpng-1.2.44.
 
Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Dale
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

Graham Murray wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:



This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version.
If I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but
now something needs the old package installed in addition to the new
one.


As it happens the issue was moot for me, but I am sure that some people
were caught out. I said 'No' to the 'emerge -auDvN @world' and
waited. Later I saw a new bugzilla entry
(https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=326583) about unneeded opera
dependency on libpng. So I waited until after the fix was announced and
in the tree and resynced, and it no longer wanted to install
libpng-1.2.44.




That works too. Should also be better in the long run. Whew, glad that
is over. Nothing worse than having to go through a nasty upgrade just
to have to do it again later. ;-)


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

On 07/03/2010 03:13 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:49:30 -0500, Dale wrote:


This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version.
If I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but now
something needs the old package installed in addition to the new one.


The joys of running binary software...


You have a way of running non-interpreted sources without compiling them
to binary format first? :P
 
Old 07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:02:18 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > The joys of running binary software...
>
> You have a way of running non-interpreted sources without compiling
> them to binary format first? :P

Yes, but I'm not telling how

You know what I meant!


--
Neil Bothwick

PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
 
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Enrico Weigelt
 
Default Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?

Hi folks,

<big_snip />


I think the libpng issue shows up a more generic problem:
we IMHO dont have a way for recording, which version / interface
of some version a package is built against. The need for things
like revdep-rebuild also comes from that.

I'm currently working on an generic design for that, some ideas:
(of course, yet limited to C and similar languages ;-o)

* libraries with (incompatible) interface changes should install
their headers under some own versioned prefix
* library imports should _always_ happen via pkg-config
(dont use .la files)
* pkg-config descriptors are extended to declare the API and
ABI version and generation, so interface breaks can be
determined automatically
* the package management records which version of some imported
library a package was built against (some kind of revdep-scan
between compile and merge)
* with that information the package management can do an smooth
upgrade (w/o temporary breaks until revdep-rebuild finished)


cu
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
http://patches.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org