FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

Hi all,

I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists I
use don't do that.

It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit
to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing
list.

What do you think about changing of policy?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht
 
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On 2010-07-02, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:

> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing
> lists I use don't do that.
>
> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it
> permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole
> mailing list.
>
> What do you think about changing of policy?

I'd rather not get replies sent directly to my address, so I prefer it
the way it is.

--
Grant
 
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Dale
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

Grant Edwards wrote:

On 2010-07-02, Nicolas Sebrecht<nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:



I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing
lists I use don't do that.

It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it
permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole
mailing list.

What do you think about changing of policy?


I'd rather not get replies sent directly to my address, so I prefer it
the way it is.




+1

When they start a new list and it is not set up this way, it causes
confusion. This was discussed before on another list. I don't see this
changing anytime soon and hope it doesn't.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

> Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> :
>It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all"

If the replier-to-all thinks of removing unwanted recipients, yes.
But most of the time, people "reply-to-really-all" and that annoys.

Among that, when replying-to-all, messages "To:" the mailing list are
"List-id"/"X-Mailing-List" set, but the others are not.
As far as the clever filter way is to filter on
"List-id"/"X-Mailing-List" (not on the "Subject:" for mailing
lists), I'd rather "Reply-To" on the list.

--

Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:
Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement
+261 34 56 000 19
 
Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Friday 02 July 2010 02:54:33 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists I
> use don't do that.
>
> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit
> to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing
> list.
>
> What do you think about changing of policy?



We have been over this and over this and over this endless times over the past
5 years.

For every stated reason why reply-to munging is considered harmful there is an
equal and opposite reason why it isn't. And every time we discuss this we just
leave the system as is.

You should learn to deal with it. There is no correct answer. There is only an
awareness of how the list you are using works.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:54:33 +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit
> to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing
> list.

If I post to the list, I expect a reply via the list. Getting two replies
is annoying, especially if I don't realise the private one is a duplicate
and reply to it before checking the list. One of the main points of a list
is that it is a public discussion, archived for all to see, fragmenting
conversations into private mail defeats that point.


--
Neil Bothwick

Engineers do it with less resistance.
 
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Friday 02 July 2010 10:14:38 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:54:33 +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> > It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit
> > to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing
> > list.
>
> If I post to the list, I expect a reply via the list. Getting two replies
> is annoying, especially if I don't realise the private one is a duplicate
> and reply to it before checking the list. One of the main points of a list
> is that it is a public discussion, archived for all to see, fragmenting
> conversations into private mail defeats that point.

Very true.

I'm not sending this very reply to Neil. I'm sending it to the entire group of
people on the list.

That is the entire intent of a mailing list and the Reply-To policy reflects
that.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:

> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2010-07-02, Nicolas Sebrecht<nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
>>> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing
>>> lists I use don't do that.
>>>
>>> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it
>>> permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole
>>> mailing list.
>>>
>>> What do you think about changing of policy?

Like others, I'm happy with this as it is. But YMMV.

> When they start a new list and it is not set up this way, it causes
> confusion. This was discussed before on another list. I don't see
> this changing anytime soon and hope it doesn't.

Is there a way for someone to add another address to Reply-To? (Does the
list management software overwrite the header or just appends its
address?)

Such a way would suit the OP and people who don't want duplicate
messages at the same time.

Meanwhile the OP might want to add a request to be CC'ed to his
signature.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Friday 02 July 2010 12:01:09 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:
> > Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> On 2010-07-02, Nicolas Sebrecht<nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:
> >>> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> >>> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing
> >>> lists I use don't do that.
> >>>
> >>> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it
> >>> permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole
> >>> mailing list.
> >>>
> >>> What do you think about changing of policy?
>
> Like others, I'm happy with this as it is. But YMMV.
>
> > When they start a new list and it is not set up this way, it causes
> > confusion. This was discussed before on another list. I don't see
> > this changing anytime soon and hope it doesn't.
>
> Is there a way for someone to add another address to Reply-To? (Does the
> list management software overwrite the header or just appends its
> address?)
>
> Such a way would suit the OP and people who don't want duplicate
> messages at the same time.
>
> Meanwhile the OP might want to add a request to be CC'ed to his
> signature.


Or, he could use a mailer that understands mailing lists, like kmail. There
are others.

Filter list mail into a folder, and tell the mailer it is for a list.

Decide how you want to reply and press (the composer deals with it correctly):

l - reply to list
a - reply to all
R - reply to original sender
r - reply to whatever seems to be default reply address.

So instead of blindly clicking reply and getting all upset about the outcome,
just press one key and the mailer obeys YOUR intent.

Problem solved.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday 02 July 2010 12:01:09 Nuno J. Silva wrote:

>> Is there a way for someone to add another address to Reply-To? (Does the
>> list management software overwrite the header or just appends its
>> address?)
>>
>> Such a way would suit the OP and people who don't want duplicate
>> messages at the same time.
>>
>> Meanwhile the OP might want to add a request to be CC'ed to his
>> signature.
>
>
> Or, he could use a mailer that understands mailing lists, like kmail. There
> are others.
>
> Filter list mail into a folder, and tell the mailer it is for a list.
>
> Decide how you want to reply and press (the composer deals with it correctly):
>
> l - reply to list
> a - reply to all
> R - reply to original sender
> r - reply to whatever seems to be default reply address.
>
> So instead of blindly clicking reply and getting all upset about the outcome,
> just press one key and the mailer obeys YOUR intent.
>
> Problem solved.

But, if I understand it correctly, what the OP wants is others to mail
him too, so he receives replies without being subscribed.

Having a mail client with those abilities is of no use for him, nor for
anyone unless they know what the person they're replying to desires.

(But now I wonder how to know if a person replied by a reply we're
replying wants to be CCed...)

Or is Nicolas looking to reply to everyone when he writes? That would be
bad, as there are people who prefer to receive messages through the
list or using NNTP.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org