Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Mick

Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Saturday 03 July 2010 11:55:02 Mick wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 15:00:10 Tanstaafl wrote:
> > On 2010-07-01 8:54 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> > > I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> > > the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists
> > > I use don't do that.
> > >
> > > It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy
> >
> > -10 this is plain wrong...
> >
> > Use a mail client that has 'Reply-To-List' function.
> >
> > Thunderbird's works very well no, so there is an excellent
> > cross-platform mail client available that implements this
> > functionality...
> >
> > > as it permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the
> > > whole mailing list.
> > >
> > > What do you think about changing of policy?
> >
> > +1, but not for the same reasons...
> >
> > Before TB implemented Reply-To-List, I preferred lists that munged the
> > Reply-To, but no longer.
>
> Sometimes I receive a personal email response to a message that I have
> posted to the list. This seems to happen because the person that kindly
> responded has for some reason cc'd me in the reply. If I try to reply to
> it the post will not go to the list, but the person that emailed me.
> Pressing 'l' in kmail just brings up an empty to field. This seems to
> happen only with some replies. Will keep an eye out for it to see if it
> is consistent.

OK, just got this baby from Alan:
From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash stopped working after Firefox 3.6.3-
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:37:53 +0200
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>

So, when I enter "l" the response is set directly to Alan, instead of Gentoo
Users M/L.

Alan, any idea why this is so? Do you intentionally copy me in your responses
to the list?
Mick

Old 07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 03 July 2010 18:37:36 Mick wrote:
> > Sometimes I receive a personal email response to a message that I have
> > posted to the list. This seems to happen because the person that kindly
> > responded has for some reason cc'd me in the reply. If I try to reply to
> > it the post will not go to the list, but the person that emailed me.
> > Pressing 'l' in kmail just brings up an empty to field. This seems to
> > happen only with some replies. Will keep an eye out for it to see if it
> > is consistent.
>
> OK, just got this baby from Alan:
> From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash stopped working after Firefox 3.6.3-
>
> >3.6.4 update.
>
> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:37:53 +0200
> Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
>
> So, when I enter "l" the response is set directly to Alan, instead of
> Gentoo Users M/L.
>
> Alan, any idea why this is so? Do you intentionally copy me in your

Two things happened here on my end:

My kmail filters didn't kick in (kmail does that to me sometimes) so the mail
I replied to was in my inbox, not the gentoo-user folder where it should have
been. The list folder is the one that knows it contains a list not the inbox.

I was also dealing with a bunch of work mail as the same time and with those I
reply to all.

When I replied, I hit "A" without thinking and only saw it after I pressed
Ctrl-Enter to send. So my bad, my screw-up.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Mick

On Saturday 03 July 2010 18:09:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 03 July 2010 18:37:36 Mick wrote:
> > > Sometimes I receive a personal email response to a message that I have
> > > posted to the list. This seems to happen because the person that
> > > kindly responded has for some reason cc'd me in the reply. If I try
> > > to reply to it the post will not go to the list, but the person that
> > > emailed me. Pressing 'l' in kmail just brings up an empty to field.
> > > This seems to happen only with some replies. Will keep an eye out for
> > > it to see if it is consistent.
> >
> > OK, just got this baby from Alan:
> > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash stopped working after Firefox 3.6.3-
> >
> > >3.6.4 update.
> >
> > Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:37:53 +0200
> > Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
> >
> > charset="utf-8"

> > So, when I enter "l" the response is set directly to Alan, instead of
> > Gentoo Users M/L.
> >
> > Alan, any idea why this is so? Do you intentionally copy me in your
>
> Two things happened here on my end:
>
> My kmail filters didn't kick in (kmail does that to me sometimes) so the
> mail I replied to was in my inbox, not the gentoo-user folder where it
> should have been. The list folder is the one that knows it contains a list
> not the inbox.
>
> I was also dealing with a bunch of work mail as the same time and with
> those I reply to all.
>
> When I replied, I hit "A" without thinking and only saw it after I pressed
> Ctrl-Enter to send. So my bad, my screw-up.

This explains it! No worries, I was thinking that something went wrong
somewhere along the chain but couldn't figure out if it was my Kmail that has
been doing this lately.
Mick

Old 07-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 03 July 2010 19:44:27 Mick wrote:
> > Two things happened here on my end:
> >

> > My kmail filters didn't kick in (kmail does that to me sometimes) so the
> > mail I replied to was in my inbox, not the gentoo-user folder where it
> > should have been. The list folder is the one that knows it contains a
> > list not the inbox.
> >

> > I was also dealing with a bunch of work mail as the same time and with
> > those I reply to all.
> >

> > When I replied, I hit "A" without thinking and only saw it after I
> > pressed Ctrl-Enter to send. So my bad, my screw-up.
>
> This explains it! No worries, I was thinking that something went wrong
> somewhere along the chain but couldn't figure out if it was my Kmail that
> has been doing this lately.

:-)

The computer gods allow me two cock-ups a day. I'm already way over limit and
using up half of next week's quota in advance....

That's what happens when you try to work, answer list mail and watch the World
Cup in your back yard all at the same time!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 03 Juli 2010, Mick wrote:

> > > OK, just got this baby from Alan:
> > > ==================================================
> > > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> > > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash stopped working after Firefox
> > > 3.6.3-

> > > Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:37:53 +0200
> > > Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
> > >
> > > charset="utf-8"

> > > So, when I enter "l" the response is set directly to Alan, instead of
> > > Gentoo Users M/L.
> > >
> > > Alan, any idea why this is so? Do you intentionally copy me in your
> >
> > Two things happened here on my end:
> >
> > My kmail filters didn't kick in (kmail does that to me sometimes) so the
> > mail I replied to was in my inbox, not the gentoo-user folder where it
> > should have been. The list folder is the one that knows it contains a
> > list not the inbox.
> >
> > I was also dealing with a bunch of work mail as the same time and with
> > those I reply to all.
> >
> > When I replied, I hit "A" without thinking and only saw it after I
> > pressed Ctrl-Enter to send. So my bad, my screw-up.
>
> This explains it! No worries, I was thinking that something went wrong
> somewhere along the chain but couldn't figure out if it was my Kmail that
> has been doing this lately.

never had any problems like that with kmail.
Problems with stupid fingers - yeah, a lot.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-03, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> The computer gods allow me two cock-ups a day. I'm already way over
> limit and using up half of next week's quota in advance....
>
> That's what happens when you try to work, answer list mail and watch
> the World Cup in your back yard all at the same time!

Holy crap! They're playing world cup games in your back yard? The
vuvuzelas must be driving you to distraction...

--
Grant

Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:34:42 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > When I replied, I hit "A" without thinking and only saw it after I
> > > pressed Ctrl-Enter to send. So my bad, my screw-up.

That's the likely explanation. I occasionally get direct replies from
you, and they always appear in the list too.

> The computer gods allow me two cock-ups a day. I'm already way over
> limit and using up half of next week's quota in advance....

A day? I thought it was per hour!

> That's what happens when you try to work, answer list mail and watch
> the World Cup in your back yard all at the same time!

I thought the World Cup finished last weekend

--
Neil Bothwick

Do I BELIEVE in the Bible?! HELL man, I've SEEN one!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:42:36 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> never had any problems like that with kmail.
> Problems with stupid fingers - yeah, a lot.

But it's easier to blame the software!

--
Neil Bothwick

Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life

Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 04 July 2010 05:21:33 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-07-03, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The computer gods allow me two cock-ups a day. I'm already way over
> > limit and using up half of next week's quota in advance....
> >
> > That's what happens when you try to work, answer list mail and watch
> > the World Cup in your back yard all at the same time!
>
> Holy crap! They're playing world cup games in your back yard? The
> vuvuzelas must be driving you to distraction...

Oi, you! That's the national musical instrument you're talking about!

:-)

You get used to it though, like traffic noise.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-07-03 6:55 AM, Mick wrote:
>> Before TB implemented Reply-To-List, I preferred lists that munged
>> the Reply-To, but no longer.

> Sometimes I receive a personal email response to a message that I
> have posted to the list. This seems to happen because the person
> that kindly responded has for some reason cc'd me in the reply. If I
> try to reply to it the post will not go to the list, but the person
> that emailed me. Pressing 'l' in kmail just brings up an empty to
> field. This seems to happen only with some replies. Will keep an
> eye out for it to see if it is consistent.

It apparently only happens when someone hits 'Reply All' instead of
Reply_to_List - and then if you have your list preference (at least in
mailman) set to not receive duplicates, you will only get the personal
reply...

Irritating, I know... but it is pointless to complain about it, I just
deal with whatever I get silently and worry about more important things,
like who we should be hanging for this BP Oil disaster...