FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Dale
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

Nuno J. Silva wrote:

Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:



On Friday 02 July 2010 12:01:09 Nuno J. Silva wrote:



Is there a way for someone to add another address to Reply-To? (Does the
list management software overwrite the header or just appends its
address?)

Such a way would suit the OP and people who don't want duplicate
messages at the same time.

Meanwhile the OP might want to add a request to be CC'ed to his
signature.



Or, he could use a mailer that understands mailing lists, like kmail. There
are others.

Filter list mail into a folder, and tell the mailer it is for a list.

Decide how you want to reply and press (the composer deals with it correctly):

l - reply to list
a - reply to all
R - reply to original sender
r - reply to whatever seems to be default reply address.

So instead of blindly clicking reply and getting all upset about the outcome,
just press one key and the mailer obeys YOUR intent.

Problem solved.


But, if I understand it correctly, what the OP wants is others to mail
him too, so he receives replies without being subscribed.

Having a mail client with those abilities is of no use for him, nor for
anyone unless they know what the person they're replying to desires.

(But now I wonder how to know if a person replied by a reply we're
replying wants to be CCed...)

Or is Nicolas looking to reply to everyone when he writes? That would be
bad, as there are people who prefer to receive messages through the
list or using NNTP.




If he is not subscribed, how did he send a email to the list anyway?
Don't you have to be subscribed to the list to send a email to it?


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Friday 02 July 2010 12:38:05 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> Or is Nicolas looking to reply to everyone when he writes? That would be
> bad, as there are people who prefer to receive messages through the
> list or using NNTP.

I think Nicolas is seeking to get mail to do something it was not designed to
do.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Willie Wong
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 02:54:33AM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists I
> use don't do that.
>
> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit
> to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing
> list.
>
> What do you think about changing of policy?

Way to go! Reviving a five-year-old discussion:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@gentoo.org/msg45780.html

Which at that time, was already an old discussion:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@gentoo.org/msg45855.html

So let's just not much about with it, eh?

Cheers,

W
--
Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
 
Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On 2010-07-01 8:54 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists I
> use don't do that.
>
> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy

-10 this is plain wrong...

Use a mail client that has 'Reply-To-List' function.

Thunderbird's works very well no, so there is an excellent
cross-platform mail client available that implements this functionality...

> as it permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the
> whole mailing list.
>
> What do you think about changing of policy?

+1, but not for the same reasons...

Before TB implemented Reply-To-List, I preferred lists that munged the
Reply-To, but no longer.
 
Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On 2010-07-02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 12:01:09 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Grant Edwards wrote:
>> >> On 2010-07-02, Nicolas Sebrecht<nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:
>> >>> I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
>> >>> the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing
>> >>> lists I use don't do that.
>> >>>
>> >>> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it
>> >>> permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole
>> >>> mailing list.

> Or, he could use a mailer that understands mailing lists, like kmail. There
> are others.
>
> Filter list mail into a folder, and tell the mailer it is for a list.
>
> Decide how you want to reply and press (the composer deals with it correctly):
>
> l - reply to list
> a - reply to all
> R - reply to original sender
> r - reply to whatever seems to be default reply address.
>
> So instead of blindly clicking reply and getting all upset about the
> outcome, just press one key and the mailer obeys YOUR intent.

His intent is to receive direct replies to his posts. I don't see how
his choice of mail client has any impact on that.

> Problem solved.

Not really. The OP's choice of mail client isn't going to change what
happens when people reply to his postings. He wants "reply-to" to
contain his address as well as the list address so that he gets a
direct response and doesn't have to bother to check the mailing list
for replies.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hey, wait
at a minute!! I want a
gmail.com divorce!! ... you're not
Clint Eastwood!!
 
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:54:33 +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:



> It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy as it permit

> to be notified of an answer without having to track the whole mailing

> list.



If I post to the list, I expect a reply via the list. Getting two replies

is annoying, especially if I don't realise the private one is a duplicate

and reply to it before checking the list. One of the main points of a list

is that it is a public discussion, archived for all to see, fragmenting

conversations into private mail defeats that point.
*Precisely, except that I'm not as annoyed as some of you seem to be.
Part of the way a mailing list works is that there is always discontent

about the way the mailing list works.* This hasn't changed much, if at
all, since I started using mailing lists around 1985.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> If I post to the list, I expect a reply via the list. Getting two replies
>> is annoying, especially if I don't realise the private one is a duplicate
>> and reply to it before checking the list. One of the main points of a list
>> is that it is a public discussion, archived for all to see, fragmenting
>> conversations into private mail defeats that point.
>
>
> Precisely, except that I'm not as annoyed as some of you seem to be.
> Part of the way a mailing list works is that there is always discontent
> about the way the mailing list works. This hasn't changed much, if at
> all, since I started using mailing lists around 1985.


Things especially fun when it is both a mailing list and a newsgroup.
 
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:19:36 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Not really. The OP's choice of mail client isn't going to change what
> happens when people reply to his postings. He wants "reply-to" to
> contain his address as well as the list address so that he gets a
> direct response and doesn't have to bother to check the mailing list
> for replies.

So he wants other people to take the trouble to reply, but he won't take
the trouble to look for the replies? If he really finds it so difficult
to look for replies to his mails (some mailers will highlight them), he
could always set up a filter to copy replies to him to his mailbox. You
don't always need everyone else to change to get what you want.


--
Neil Bothwick

A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!
 
Old 07-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On 2010-07-02, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:19:36 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Not really. The OP's choice of mail client isn't going to change
>> what happens when people reply to his postings. He wants "reply-to"
>> to contain his address as well as the list address so that he gets a
>> direct response and doesn't have to bother to check the mailing list
>> for replies.
>
> So he wants other people to take the trouble to reply, but he won't take
> the trouble to look for the replies?

That's the way it read to me. If that's not what the OP meant, then I
apologize for misunderstanding what he wrote.

> If he really finds it so difficult to look for replies to his mails
> (some mailers will highlight them), he could always set up a filter
> to copy replies to him to his mailbox.

Yup. Since the mailing list is already sending him a reply, why he
wants a second one is beyond me.

> You don't always need everyone else to change to get what you want.

Well, I know some people who are like that...

--
Grant
 
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Mick
 
Default Mailing list policy on reply

On Friday 02 July 2010 15:00:10 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-07-01 8:54 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> > I'm often stucked by the current policy in this mailing list changing
> > the 'Reply-To' header to the mailing list address. Most mailing lists I
> > use don't do that.
> >
> > It is usually better and prefer the "answer to all" policy
>
> -10 this is plain wrong...
>
> Use a mail client that has 'Reply-To-List' function.
>
> Thunderbird's works very well no, so there is an excellent
> cross-platform mail client available that implements this functionality...
>
> > as it permit to be notified of an answer without having to track the
> > whole mailing list.
> >
> > What do you think about changing of policy?
>
> +1, but not for the same reasons...
>
> Before TB implemented Reply-To-List, I preferred lists that munged the
> Reply-To, but no longer.

Sometimes I receive a personal email response to a message that I have posted
to the list. This seems to happen because the person that kindly responded
has for some reason cc'd me in the reply. If I try to reply to it the post
will not go to the list, but the person that emailed me. Pressing 'l' in
kmail just brings up an empty to field. This seems to happen only with some
replies. Will keep an eye out for it to see if it is consistent.
--
Regards,
Mick
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org