Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Default qemu-kvm setup questions

qemu-kvm apparently expects a couple of options in /etc/make.conf,
namely QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS. The "documentation"
that I could find in Google is underwhelming, to say the least. I could
guess from the names alone that they "define targets"...dohhh. It could
use an example.

For instance, my physical machine (i.e. the host) is x86_64, running
64-bit Gentoo. I would like to emulate a 32-bit x86 (i386 ?). I will
be trying to run 32-bit Gentoo and OS/2 Warp 4. My uneducated guess is
QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386"
QEMU_USER_TARGETS="x86_64"

Is this correct? If not, what should I be using?

Also, are there any gotcha's for file access from the guest to the
host? Rather than re-downloading stuff all the time, I'm thinking of
giving the guest read-only access to the host's /usr/portage. That
should cover both syncing and distfiles. My only concern is how the
different profiles are handled, i.e. 64-bit versus 32-bit.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 AM
walt