Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Grant Edwards

Default Where to get qmake for qt3?

I'm trying to build from sources an app that requires qt3 via qmake.
According to the build instructions I need to point the make file to
qt3's version of qmake. I've found some hints that it should bin in
/usr/qt/3/bin, but the only thing under /usr/qt/3 is an 'etc'
directory. No bin, no qmake.

I've got qt3support in my global useflags, and x11-libs/qt-qt3support
is installed.

Where do I find qmake 3?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm imagining a surfer
at van filled with soy sauce!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Nils Larsson

> Where do I find qmake 3?

I assume qt3 and whatever deps. it needs are available through the
kde-sunset overlay.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-01, Nils Larsson <ni1s@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>> Where do I find qmake 3?
>
> I assume qt3 and whatever deps. it needs are available through the
> kde-sunset overlay.

Two questions:

1) What do the qt3support use flag and the qt-qt3support package do?
I had assumed that they enabled qt3 support, but apparently not?

2) Is there any documentation on how to use Qt3 from the kde-sunset
overlay? The only thing I could find was on how to use KDE 3.5
instead of KDE 4.

I'm not interested in KDE, and I want to keep the normal Qt4
install -- I just have a single Qt3 (not KDE) app that I need to
build from sources.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! FOOLED you! Absorb
at EGO SHATTERING impulse

Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Thursday 01 July 2010 19:29:12 Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm trying to build from sources an app that requires qt3 via
> qmake. According to the build instructions I need to point the
> make file to qt3's version of qmake. I've found some hints that
> it should bin in /usr/qt/3/bin, but the only thing under
> /usr/qt/3 is an 'etc' directory. No bin, no qmake.
>
> I've got qt3support in my global useflags, and
> x11-libs/qt-qt3support is installed.
>
> Where do I find qmake 3?

$ qfile /usr/qt/3/bin/qmake
x11-libs/qt (/usr/qt/3/bin/qmake)

--
Peter
Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc67 kernel-2.6.34-gentoo

Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Dale

I assume qt3 and whatever deps. it needs are available through the
kde-sunset overlay.

Two questions:

1) What do the qt3support use flag and the qt-qt3support package do?
I had assumed that they enabled qt3 support, but apparently not?

2) Is there any documentation on how to use Qt3 from the kde-sunset
overlay? The only thing I could find was on how to use KDE 3.5
instead of KDE 4.

I'm not interested in KDE, and I want to keep the normal Qt4
install -- I just have a single Qt3 (not KDE) app that I need to
build from sources.

You don't have to install KDE to get qt3. Just add the kde-sunset
overlay then emerge qt3 or whatever you do need. Then you can use the
other package that needs qt3.

Just keep in mind, qt3 may not always be there. KDE3 is there for the
folks that just can't use KDE4, either missing options or just older
hardware.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-01, Nils Larsson <ni1s@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>>> Where do I find qmake 3?
>>
>> I assume qt3 and whatever deps. it needs are available through the
>> kde-sunset overlay.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) What do the qt3support use flag and the qt-qt3support package do?
> I had assumed that they enabled qt3 support, but apparently not?

Google found me some info on what the qt3support in qt4 did, but it
was a bit vague. It apparently enables some qt3 compatibilty layer
stuff that's used by some apps that have been partially ported from
qt3 to qt4.

Having qt3support does support the building of qt3 apps.

> 2) Is there any documentation on how to use Qt3 from the kde-sunset
> overlay? The only thing I could find was on how to use KDE 3.5
> instead of KDE 4.
>
> I'm not interested in KDE, and I want to keep the normal Qt4
> install -- I just have a single Qt3 (not KDE) app that I need to
> build from sources.

Installing qt3 seems to be rather simple. Just enable the kde-sunset
overlay using layman, and then:

emerge qt:3

Now I've got a /usr/qt/3/bin/qmake.

The app still won't build, but I think I'm getting closer.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! An Italian is COMBING
at his hair in suburban DES

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I assume qt3 and whatever deps. it needs are available through the
kde-sunset overlay.

Two questions:

1) What do the qt3support use flag and the qt-qt3support package do?
I had assumed that they enabled qt3 support, but apparently not?

qt3support is a Qt4 aid that helps in porting Qt3 applications to Qt4.
It does not provide a full Qt3 library.

2) Is there any documentation on how to use Qt3 from the kde-sunset
overlay? The only thing I could find was on how to use KDE 3.5
instead of KDE 4.

I'm not interested in KDE, and I want to keep the normal Qt4
install -- I just have a single Qt3 (not KDE) app that I need to
build from sources.

You just add the overlay with layman and "emerge qt:3".