Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM
dhk

Default Java EE 6

I would like to install Java EE 6, but not sure of the package name. A
while back J2EE was rename to JEE and now the latest version is Java EE
6. The portage tree doesn't have anything when a search is done on JEE
or "java ee", but a search on J2EE results in the following.

# emerge --search j2ee
Searching...
[ Results for search key : j2ee ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

* dev-java/sun-j2ee [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 1.3.1-r4
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 14,515 kB
Homepage: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/
License: sun-bcla-j2ee

How do I find Java EE 6?

Thanks,

--dhk

Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 01 July 2010 12:56:53 dhk wrote:
> I would like to install Java EE 6, but not sure of the package name. A
> while back J2EE was rename to JEE and now the latest version is Java EE
> 6. The portage tree doesn't have anything when a search is done on JEE
> or "java ee", but a search on J2EE results in the following.
>
> # emerge --search j2ee
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : j2ee ]
> [ Applications found : 2 ]
>
> * dev-java/sun-j2ee [ Masked ]
> Latest version available: 1.3.1-r4
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 14,515 kB
> Homepage: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/
> License: sun-bcla-j2ee
>
> How do I find Java EE 6?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --dhk

There's no such thing as Java EE 6.

There is the 1.6 jvm which runs client side, and the enterprise edition stuff
which runs server side, currently at v1.3.1

If you just want a jre, use dev-java/sun-jre-bin
If you want a full jdk, use dev-java/sun-jdk
The server side stuff is dev-java/sun-j2ee as you already found

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Now I'm confused.* According to the following links there is a Java EE*6.

* http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

The first sentence here explains the name change.
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J2ee#Nomenclature.2C_standards.2C_and_specificatio ns

Looking for clarification.

Thanks,

--dhk

Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
"Arttu V."

On 7/1/10, dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:
> I would like to install Java EE 6, but not sure of the package name. A
> while back J2EE was rename to JEE and now the latest version is Java EE
> 6. The portage tree doesn't have anything when a search is done on JEE
> or "java ee", but a search on J2EE results in the following.
>
> # emerge --search j2ee
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : j2ee ]
> [ Applications found : 2 ]
>
> * dev-java/sun-j2ee [ Masked ]
> Latest version available: 1.3.1-r4
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 14,515 kB
> Homepage: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/
> License: sun-bcla-j2ee
>
> How do I find Java EE 6?

I think you can try installing it piecemeal from components listed in
here (the names will need some guessing on Gentoo, but you'll probably
get what you need by picking an implementation of some of the
features, like hibernate or tomcat):

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/javaee6sdk_contents.jsp

I haven't seen a meta-package which would pull everything in, though.

--
Arttu V.