Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Default Online bookmark keeper with good merge routine

Sorry to pop up something so far off topic but hard to get answers that
aren't pretty far from what you are after on other forums at times.

I've been using sitebar as my online bookmark keeper for quite a while
but seem to have trouble merging in new bookmarks from multiple
machines ... what is supposed to be a merge turns into a replace
operation or so it seems .. but not always.

So, I'm looking for a similar setup but more reliable.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
"A. Khattri"

I've been using sitebar as my online bookmark keeper for quite a while
but seem to have trouble merging in new bookmarks from multiple
machines ... what is supposed to be a merge turns into a replace
operation or so it seems .. but not always.

What about Google Browser Sync?

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM

"A. Khattri" <ajai@bway.net> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> I've been using sitebar as my online bookmark keeper for quite a while
>> but seem to have trouble merging in new bookmarks from multiple
>> machines ... what is supposed to be a merge turns into a replace
>> operation or so it seems .. but not always.
>
> What about Google Browser Sync?
>
> http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Thanks, yeah that looks interesing. The intro for anyone who hits
this thread

Google Browser Sync for Firefox is an extension that continuously
synchronizes your browser settings – including bookmarks, history,
persistent cookies, and saved passwords – across your computers. It
also allows you to restore open tabs and windows across different
machines and browser sessions. For more info, please visit our FAQ.

Where it says FAQ above is actually a link to here:
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/faq.html

Do you use this now. If so has it seemed pretty handy to you?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM

Yahya Mohammad <mfyahya@gmail.com> writes:

> From: Yahya Mohammad <mfyahya@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OT] Online bookmark keeper with good merge routine
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.user
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:09:39 +0400
>
>> What about Google Browser Sync?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/
>>

> If you're the paranoid type, and have your own server with https and
> webdav, this extension will do the job:

Hehe... no if I only knew what ftp/webDav was ...

Googling...

Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 PM

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> Hehe... no if I only knew what ftp/webDav was ...
Hehe... now if I only knew what ftp/webDav was ...
^^^

Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM

"A. Khattri" <ajai@bway.net> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> I've been using sitebar as my online bookmark keeper for quite a while
>> but seem to have trouble merging in new bookmarks from multiple
>> machines ... what is supposed to be a merge turns into a replace
>> operation or so it seems .. but not always.
>
> What about Google Browser Sync?
>
> http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

What about across browsers other than firefox? Like Konqueror or
opera.

Anyone with experiece using some online bookmark manager that stores
and merges bookmarks regardless of what browser is in use?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM

"A. Khattri" <ajai@bway.net> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> I've been using sitebar as my online bookmark keeper for quite a while
>> but seem to have trouble merging in new bookmarks from multiple
>> machines ... what is supposed to be a merge turns into a replace
>> operation or so it seems .. but not always.
>
> What about Google Browser Sync?
>
> http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

I've got to report that this appears to be nearly worthless and does
nothing like what it claims.

After installing it on 5 browsers, every time I open a different one I
still have a different set of bookmarks. I synced them all several
times now... still after using one... and making changes, when I open
a different one it is not setup like the last one. Even manually
syncing it does not result in the same bookmarks.

So I guess I'd have to say googles' claims are mostly baloney

Old 01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Neil Walker

reader@newsguy.com wrote:

So I guess I'd have to say googles' claims are mostly baloney

I've been using Foxmarks for a while now and have no complaints. It
works fine with Flock, too.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.