Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Minimal Gentoo with X (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/393123-minimal-gentoo-x.html)

Shoka 06-30-2010 03:32 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On 30.06.2010 17:03, Grant Edwards wrote:

>
> Gnome?!?!
>
> That's like saying "all I needed was a couple of deck chairs, so I
> bought the Queen Mary".
>
> One step towards smaller/lighter would be the XFCE desktop instead of
> Gnome. While a lot smaller/faster than Gnuome, XFCE is still far from
> "minimal".
>
> If you want more minimal, then I'd try icewm, fvwm, or blackbox/fluxbox.
>

Hi Grant,

*hehe* yes, I've just realized that this doesn't really make sense at
all. I think I'll switch to fluxbox and give it a try.

thanks anyway for your thoughts.

regards,
andré

Neil Bothwick 06-30-2010 03:45 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:54:20 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Since space is a issue for you, you really only need the kernel sources
> for the kernel you are using. One could argue that if you have a well
> built kernel and don't plan to change it in the future, you could
> remove its sources too. I would save a copy of the config tho.

I'd certainly argue that. A single set of sources can take up more than
half a gigabyte after compilation. If you use make install to install the
kernel, it puts a backup of the config in /boot automatically.


--
Neil Bothwick

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Neil Bothwick 06-30-2010 03:46 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:03:27 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Gnome?!?!
>
> That's like saying "all I needed was a couple of deck chairs, so I
> bought the Queen Mary".

PMSL :)


--
Neil Bothwick

All things in moderation, ESPECIALLY moderation.

Kyle Bader 06-30-2010 04:05 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
>> Since space is a issue for you, you really only need the kernel sources
>> for the kernel you are using. *One could argue that if you have a well
>> built kernel and don't plan to change it in the future, you could
>> remove its sources too. *I would save a copy of the config tho.
>
> I'd certainly argue that. A single set of sources can take up more than
> half a gigabyte after compilation. If you use make install to install the
> kernel, it puts a backup of the config in /boot automatically.

It is also good to keep the System.map and vmlinux file in case you or
someone else needs to debug your kernel traces.

--

Kyle

Mark Knecht 06-30-2010 04:09 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Shoka <shoka@gmx.ch> wrote:
> On 30.06.2010 15:56, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>
>> /usr/src could be reduced to one source tree.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>>
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Unfortunately I don't fully understand. What do you mean by "reducing to
> one source tree"?
>
> Regards
> andré
>
>

Hello Andre,
OK - I think others have explained that if you have ever had more
than 1 kernel on the machine then you may still have old source code
trees. Get rid of the ones you aren't using.

Related but not a lot of diskspace - don't forget to clean up any
unused module directories for kernels no longer on the system.

Others noted Gnome. I find XFCE to be 98% the same user experience
for 15% of the build time. I expect you would find it very reasonable
as a Gnome user. I've used fluxbox and it's great, but it's very, very
different and may be more of a change than you want to deal with.

Sorry on the distfiles suggestion. When I reread your post I
finally saw that you had already taken care of that.

One related thing is that should an ebuild die portage often leaves
behind big build directories of the work it was doing. They can be
cleaned up also. Look for the word 'work' or 'WORK' where code gets
built.

Look at log file sizes. They can grow over time. Some tools that
create log files can limit there sizes or there are ways to compress
and rotate if that suits your needs.

I suspect your biggest immediate win after distfiles would be with
XFCE. (and emerge -C gnome)

Good luck,
Mark

Mark Knecht 06-30-2010 04:12 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Since space is a issue for you, you really only need the kernel sources
>>> for the kernel you are using. *One could argue that if you have a well
>>> built kernel and don't plan to change it in the future, you could
>>> remove its sources too. *I would save a copy of the config tho.
>>
>> I'd certainly argue that. A single set of sources can take up more than
>> half a gigabyte after compilation. If you use make install to install the
>> kernel, it puts a backup of the config in /boot automatically.
>
> It is also good to keep the System.map and vmlinux file in case you or
> someone else needs to debug your kernel traces.
>
> --
>
> Kyle

Also, if you want to get rid of source but keep the tree you can do
make clean (I think) to get rid of the stuff that got built.

Always keep .confg AND make sure your running kernel supports
/proc/config.gz as a second means of not losing info.

Cheers,
Mark

Bill Longman 06-30-2010 04:17 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On 06/30/2010 08:03 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-06-30, Shoka <shoka@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
>> need is
>>
>> - X11 and a Window Manager
>> - Mozilla Firefox
>> - Lighttpd
>>
>> I use Gnome at this time.
>
> Gnome?!?!
>
> That's like saying "all I needed was a couple of deck chairs, so I
> bought the Queen Mary".
>
> One step towards smaller/lighter would be the XFCE desktop instead of
> Gnome. While a lot smaller/faster than Gnuome, XFCE is still far from
> "minimal".
>
> If you want more minimal, then I'd try icewm, fvwm, or blackbox/fluxbox.

I agree with Grant and others. XFCE is the other WM on my machines. On
my old PIII with 256MB RAM, it's really the only option. KDE for the
ones with the power, but that's far from "light".

But my personal "light" window manager fave of all time is ratpoison.
That's what goes on the servers....

Dale 06-30-2010 04:17 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:54:20 -0500, Dale wrote:



Since space is a issue for you, you really only need the kernel sources
for the kernel you are using. One could argue that if you have a well
built kernel and don't plan to change it in the future, you could
remove its sources too. I would save a copy of the config tho.


I'd certainly argue that. A single set of sources can take up more than
half a gigabyte after compilation. If you use make install to install the
kernel, it puts a backup of the config in /boot automatically.




This is one of those questions that is like 'how much swap do I need'?
It depends on your goals. With Gentoo, you can really slim down a lot
of stuff. Disabled USE flags for unneeded things, remove packages that
are not needed, clean out distfiles and binaries in *packages/All then
disable buildpkg in make.conf. There is a lot of things that can be
done to reduce the install. Heck, if they can put Gentoo on a guitar,
it's got to be pretty small.


I also like the post someone else made. Run it like a embedded system.
That is really small from what I have read, or can be at least.


Oh, I still do my kernel installs the manual way. I have a weird way of
naming my kernels so that I know at a glance what is what. I also name
the config the same as the kernels so that I know which config goes with
which kernel. I have had to back up once or twice. Nothing like a net
to catch us when something fails or falls.


Dale

:-) :-)

Neil Bothwick 06-30-2010 04:18 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:05:30 -0700, Kyle Bader wrote:

> > I'd certainly argue that. A single set of sources can take up more
> > than half a gigabyte after compilation. If you use make install to
> > install the kernel, it puts a backup of the config in /boot
> > automatically.
>
> It is also good to keep the System.map and vmlinux file in case you or
> someone else needs to debug your kernel traces.

Those are also installed to /boot by make install.


--
Neil Bothwick

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

Neil Bothwick 06-30-2010 04:20 PM

Minimal Gentoo with X
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:17:00 -0700, Bill Longman wrote:

> I agree with Grant and others. XFCE is the other WM on my machines. On
> my old PIII with 256MB RAM, it's really the only option. KDE for the
> ones with the power, but that's far from "light".

I really like LXDE now, I use it on my netbook.

> But my personal "light" window manager fave of all time is ratpoison.
> That's what goes on the servers....

The best WM for a server is screen :)


--
Neil Bothwick

Middle-age - because your age starts to show at your middle.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.