Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Bill Longman

Default Minimal Gentoo with X

On 06/30/2010 09:20 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:17:00 -0700, Bill Longman wrote:
>
>> I agree with Grant and others. XFCE is the other WM on my machines. On
>> my old PIII with 256MB RAM, it's really the only option. KDE for the
>> ones with the power, but that's far from "light".
>
> I really like LXDE now, I use it on my netbook.
>
>> But my personal "light" window manager fave of all time is ratpoison.
>> That's what goes on the servers....
>
> The best WM for a server is screen

LOL!

Before I pressed "SEND," I was going to add to my sentence, "because it
works great with screen".

Screen and units get installed on all my machines. If you like a "light"
system and can do most of your work in links, who needs X?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
"Arttu V."

On 6/30/10, Shoka <shoka@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
> need is
>
> - X11 and a Window Manager
> - Mozilla Firefox
> - Lighttpd
>
> I use Gnome at this time.
>
> du reports the following directories as the biggest directories on my
> system:
>
> /usr/lib 418 MB
> /usr/portage 1200 MB
> /usr/share 550 MB
> /usr/src 560 MB (Kernel Sources)
>
> The other directories are very small.
>
> I think, the system is quite heavy in size, isn't it? I really would
> like to be able to shrink it down but not loosing functionality.
>
> Now I'm looking for tips to reduce disk consumption further. I've
> already cleaned /usr/portage/distfiles.
>
> I read that removing the whole /usr/portage after setting up the system
> is not a good idea. Is that true?
>
> May be someone could recommend a better window manager (smaller in size,
> stable)?
>
> I really appreciate any kind of recommendation to this topic.

Advice given so far seems to assume that you only have this one
system. But if you have another system that can take care of compiling
and building binary pkgs then you can probably slice off the 50MB+ or
more out of gcc, autotools, and such as well. In effect, turning
Gentoo into your very own, private binary distro.

As already mentioned, the embedded folks probably know this
intimately. Also, see the portage man page for defining your own
system set (without, e.g., gcc and autoconf), and man page of emerge
for option --buildpkg (and also other --*pkg* options of emerge).

Good luck, have fun!

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Jake Moe

On 01/07/10 00:52, Crístian Viana wrote:
>> What do you mean by "reducing to one source tree"?
>>

> inside /usr/src, there may be more than one subdirectory, one for each
> kernel version you've ever had. you can purge the older kernel directories,
> just "rm -rf" on them. do not delete your current kernel directory: use
> "eselect kernel list" (or "uname -r") to find out what's your current
> version.

I'd use eselect to make sure you're using the latest kernel, and then
use "emerge --depclean" to get rid of any others that are there.

depclean would probably be a good idea anyway, depending on how long the
system has been around, to get rid of anything that's not needed anymore.

Jake Moe

Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 16:01:21 James wrote:

> caveat emptor...

That's not a very helpful comment on this list, where we all try to help
one another.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Shoka

On 30.06.2010 15:48, Shoka wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
> need is
>
> - X11 and a Window Manager
> - Mozilla Firefox
> - Lighttpd
>
> I use Gnome at this time.
>
> du reports the following directories as the biggest directories on my
> system:
>
> /usr/lib 418 MB
> /usr/portage 1200 MB
> /usr/share 550 MB
> /usr/src 560 MB (Kernel Sources)
>
> The other directories are very small.
>
> I think, the system is quite heavy in size, isn't it? I really would
> like to be able to shrink it down but not loosing functionality.
>
> Now I'm looking for tips to reduce disk consumption further. I've
> already cleaned /usr/portage/distfiles.
>
> I read that removing the whole /usr/portage after setting up the system
> is not a good idea. Is that true?
>
> May be someone could recommend a better window manager (smaller in size,
> stable)?
>
> I really appreciate any kind of recommendation to this topic.
>

> Kind regards,
> André

Hello folks,

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts and for sharing your
experience with me. I really appreciate that.

I think I'll give XFCE a try and have a more detailed look in all the
mentioned cleanup commands posted here in this thread.

SquashFS seems to be a good possibility to shrink the portage tree to a
minimum. I take a dive into the docs and possibly give it a try too

Thank you
André