Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Shoka

Default Minimal Gentoo with X

Hello group,

I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
need is

- X11 and a Window Manager
- Mozilla Firefox
- Lighttpd

I use Gnome at this time.

du reports the following directories as the biggest directories on my
system:

/usr/lib 418 MB
/usr/portage 1200 MB
/usr/share 550 MB
/usr/src 560 MB (Kernel Sources)

The other directories are very small.

I think, the system is quite heavy in size, isn't it? I really would
like to be able to shrink it down but not loosing functionality.

Now I'm looking for tips to reduce disk consumption further. I've
already cleaned /usr/portage/distfiles.

I read that removing the whole /usr/portage after setting up the system
is not a good idea. Is that true?

May be someone could recommend a better window manager (smaller in size,
stable)?

I really appreciate any kind of recommendation to this topic.

Kind regards,
André

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Shoka <shoka@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
> need is
>
> - X11 and a Window Manager
> - Mozilla Firefox
> - Lighttpd
>
> I use Gnome at this time.
>
> du reports the following directories as the biggest directories on my
> system:
>
> /usr/lib * * * *418 MB
> /usr/portage * 1200 MB
> /usr/share * * *550 MB
> /usr/src * * * *560 MB (Kernel Sources)
>
> The other directories are very small.
>
> I think, the system is quite heavy in size, isn't it? I really would
> like to be able to shrink it down but not loosing functionality.
>
> Now I'm looking for tips to reduce disk consumption further. I've
> already cleaned /usr/portage/distfiles.
>
> I read that removing the whole /usr/portage after setting up the system
> is not a good idea. Is that true?
>
> May be someone could recommend a better window manager (smaller in size,
> stable)?
>
> I really appreciate any kind of recommendation to this topic.
>

> Kind regards,
> André

/usr/portage/distfiles probably includes all the source which you
don't strictly need to keep if you don't mind downloading it again at
a future date. You can remove that.

/usr/src could be reduced to one source tree.

HTH,
Mark

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Mick

On 30 June 2010 14:48, Shoka <shoka@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
> need is
>
> - X11 and a Window Manager
> - Mozilla Firefox
> - Lighttpd
>
> I use Gnome at this time.

Both Gnome and KDE are not for lightweight systems. You may want to try:

Black/Open/Fluxbox. They can be made to look really snazzy if you're
prepared to spend time on it, although their vanilla configuration
just works if you're only after functionality.

LXDE and Enlightenment are also lightweight and have more features
than the above.
Mick

Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Andy Wilkinson

[...]

If you're looking to save size in /usr/portage,
you might consider squashing it (

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Squashed_Portage_Tree).*
Portage
is a few hundred thousand files IIRC and most filesystems don't
cope with that very well.* My portage sqfs is one file about 47 MB.*
This has the side effect of making portage lookups a lot faster, as
well, since it's all kept in RAM.* It's a bit of work, and adds
complexity to kernel upgrades, but it's been worthwhile for me.

Also, Gnome is not a particularly minimal or light desktop
environment.*** In fact, quite the opposite.* You could probably save a
lot of space by switching to xfce or lxde or something like that, if
you don't need all of the fluff in Gnome.* There's also a gnome-light
meta that cuts out some of the extras, if you want to keep the Gnome
look-and-feel.* I'm using xfce after a long time with Gnome and didn't
find the transition difficult at all.* I did wind up compiling a few of
my gnome-specific tools (banshee, gthumb in particular) which brought
in some gnome libraries, but the gnome meta still offers to pull in
about a hundred new packages.

-Andy

Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Shoka

On 30.06.2010 15:56, Mark Knecht wrote:

> /usr/src could be reduced to one source tree.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I don't fully understand. What do you mean by "reducing to
one source tree"?

Regards
andré

Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Crístian Viana

What do you mean by "reducing to*one source tree"?
inside /usr/src, there may be more than one subdirectory, one for each kernel version you've ever had. you can purge the older kernel directories, just "rm -rf" on them. do not delete your current kernel directory: use "eselect kernel list" (or "uname -r") to find out what's your current version.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Dale