FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner
 
Default CFLAGS

Hello

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:54:42PM -0500, Kenneth Prugh wrote:
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"

Could this happen a default in clean installation/manual sometime? Most
people could leave this lake it is and never think about what flags to
use.

--
Please stay calm. There is no use both of us being hysterical.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Kenneth Prugh
 
Default CFLAGS

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:04:11 +0100
Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@ucw.cz> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:54:42PM -0500, Kenneth Prugh wrote:
> > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"
>
> Could this happen a default in clean installation/manual sometime?
> Most people could leave this lake it is and never think about what
> flags to use.
>

I suppose if gcc 4.2 ever goes stable it could... Or if you
tell people to keyword gcc right away to 4.2 and emerge it, change the
cflags to native, then emerge -e world it would. (Not very ideal and
it's time consuming...)

(I could be wrong though...)

--
Ken69267
Gentoo AMD64 AT
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
"Benedikt Morbach"
 
Default CFLAGS

On 1/16/08, Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> wrote:
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
would be sufficient.

On my system, it gives me (I have a core 2 duo)
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -mtune=generic -pipe"
while with gcc-4.3, I get
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -mtune=core2 -pipe"

So -march=native handles both, -march and -mtune
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default CFLAGS

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 19:54:42 Kenneth Prugh wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:48:21 +0100
>
> Cahn Roger <rcahn@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'll have soon a new PC with Processor
> > Intel Core2 Duo E6850
> > Which cflags do I need for it?
> > Thank you very much.
> > Roger
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"
>
> should do it if your running stable AMD64. If you happened to use
> gcc-4.2 or later on AMD64 you could do something like this:
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"

Just a tiny hijack :-)

My new laptop will have a T7100 CPU. I'd like to know what CFLAGS to use,
but even before that should I use an AMD64 or IA64 installation medium?

--
Rgds
Peter
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Tomas Papan
 
Default CFLAGS

hello,



in case that you want use 64bit system chose amd64 and -march=nocona



BR

tomas



Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 19:54:42 Kenneth Prugh wrote:


On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:48:21 +0100

Cahn Roger <rcahn@club-internet.fr> wrote:


Hi,

I'll have soon a new PC with Processor
Intel Core2 Duo E6850
Which cflags do I need for it?
Thank you very much.
Roger


CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"

should do it if your running stable AMD64. If you happened to use
gcc-4.2 or later on AMD64 you could do something like this:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"



Just a tiny hijack :-)

My new laptop will have a T7100 CPU. I'd like to know what CFLAGS to use,
but even before that should I use an AMD64 or IA64 installation medium?
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default CFLAGS

On Thursday 17 January 2008 11:42:37 Tomas Papan wrote:

> in case that you want use 64bit system chose amd64 and -march=nocona

OK, thanks. What then is IA64 for?

--
Rgds
Peter
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu
 
Default CFLAGS

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Just a tiny hijack :-)
>
> My new laptop will have a T7100 CPU. I'd like to know what CFLAGS to
> use, but even before that should I use an AMD64 or IA64 installation
> medium?

Maybe this wiki page could help:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Kenneth Prugh
 
Default CFLAGS

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:38:47 +0000
Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 17 January 2008 11:42:37 Tomas Papan wrote:
>
> > in case that you want use 64bit system chose amd64 and -march=nocona
>
> OK, thanks. What then is IA64 for?
>

Intel Itanium processors. (Your T7100 is a Core2)
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"
 
Default CFLAGS

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad / Xeon 51xx/53xx

vendor_id *: GenuineIntel

cpu family *: 6

model *: 15

model name *: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU XXXX @ XXXGHz



32 bit profile (x86)


CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"


64 bit profile (amd64)


CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"


Note:


GCC 4.3 has -march=core2[1], but Gentoo has nothing above
4.2 in portage.
 
Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default CFLAGS

On Thursday 17 January 2008 15:36:51 Kenneth Prugh wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:38:47 +0000
> Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> > OK, thanks. What then is IA64 for?
>
> Intel Itanium processors. (Your T7100 is a Core2)

Of course. Thanks again; also to Etaoin.

--
Rgds
Peter
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org