Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default CFLAGS

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008 11:42:37 Tomas Papan wrote:
> > in case that you want use 64bit system chose amd64 and
> > -march=nocona
>
> OK, thanks. What then is IA64 for?

Itanium2.

You don't want to go there. Trust me.

It's a bastard evolution of one of Intel's worst ideas ever - Itanium,
which was their first 64 bit effort. Only HP ever used it and it was a
disaster in the market. Windows and Linux have never run on it. AMD did
it right with amd64 which Intel copied as emt64. Meanwhile Itanium2
came along, called IA64 in Linux terms. The only place you will ever
see this architecture is in a data centre, and the machine will be at
least 8 years old.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Bo ěrsted Andresen

On Thursday 17 January 2008 17:10:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Itanium2.
>
> You don't want to go there. Trust me.
>
> It's a bastard evolution of one of Intel's worst ideas ever

I thought that would be Pentium 4 EE. :P

--
Bo Andresen

Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Coert Waagmeester

Hello all,

Possible noob question.

I have installed a 64 bit gentoo on my intel Pentium D machine.
Now I am reading through /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example

My CFLAGS on that machine is the default currently: CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
But according to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#cflags I can make it:

-O2 -march=core2 -pipe

Is this entirely necessary? Will it cause a big improvement?

If I do change, how do I recompile everything? (like --newuse for USE
changes?)

Thank you,
Coert Waagmeester

Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM