Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Mateusz MierzwiƄski

Default What is wrong with lame?

Hi,
I wish to ask if anyone also have same feeling that Winamp running on Wine (ALSA output) have better sound quality than players like VLC, XMMS, Amarok and even songbird just as many others?Â*
What's wrong with decoding of audio if I have such feeling running now Winamp?
Thanks,Mateusz M.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Mateusz MierzwiƄski
<mateuszmierzwinski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I wish to ask if anyone also have same feeling that Winamp running on Wine
> (ALSA output) have better sound quality than players like VLC, XMMS, Amarok
> and even songbird just as many others?
> What's wrong with decoding of audio if I have such feeling running now
> Winamp?
> Thanks,
> Mateusz M.

Everything sounds normal on my system... can you describe the sound
difference at all? Maybe winamp is doing some kind of equalizing which
changes the sound.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Mateusz MierzwiƄski
> <mateuszmierzwinski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wish to ask if anyone also have same feeling that Winamp running on Wine
>> (ALSA output) have better sound quality than players like VLC, XMMS, Amarok
>> and even songbird just as many others?
>> What's wrong with decoding of audio if I have such feeling running now
>> Winamp?
>> Thanks,
>> Mateusz M.
>
> Everything sounds normal on my system... can you describe the sound
> difference at all? Maybe winamp is doing some kind of equalizing which
> changes the sound.

Also, check your mixer levels, if they are set to 100% try to make it
lower. I used to have a computer that would sound horrible if the
levels were much more than 50%.