Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default VM experiences and faqs?

Am 28.06.2010 08:19, schrieb waltdnes@waltdnes.org:
> I have a 4-core Intel i3 (/proc/cpuinfo dump below) running 64 bit
> Gentoo. I want to try hosting 32-bit Gentoo and also OS/2 Warp 4 on it.
> What are people's experiences with different VM environments? Google
> searching turns up a lot of out-of-date blogs/wikis. My CPU...
>
> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz

I use vmware-server and also kvm for VMs.

Both work.

vmware:

I don't really like the web-gui, it sometimes is buggy and unreliable,
has ssl-issues and you need a specific firefox-plugin to access the
console of the VMs. It brings its own tomcat-server etc., somehow not as
minimalistic as we gentoo-users like things ...

I also don't like the need to always log into that gui as I am
single-user here anyway. Might be some small hack in PAM or so, never
researched that.

Aside from these issues vmware runs fine, and I like the fact that I am
able to connect 2 very similar USB-serial-converters to one VM,
something that KVM is not yet able to support AFAIK (I need them for my
Suunto heart-rate-monitor and GPS, both cables have the same USB-id ...).

This is the main reason why I haven't yet fully migrated my own VMs to ...

KVM:

It feels (and is) faster. Less overhead.

I really appreciate the fact that it is in the kernel, you just enable
it once and it is there ...

Very little overhead, VMs feel fast and snappy.

For gui I use virt-manager on top of libvirt, nice feature to have all
your VMs at hand in one small gnome-applet ... (it should be possible to
also control vmware-servers with libvirt, but this has been unreliable
for me).

I like the virtio-drivers for block- and network-devices. Fast and direct.

The network-setup for kvm is somewhat more complicated at first, all
that bridging and qtap and stuff, vmware does hide that more from you or
somehow makes it easier to administer (my experience ... it is very
likely that I don't know things ...).

-

In general both systems work fine, I use vmware out of historical
reasons (KVM wasn't there or as ready when I started using VMs) and KVM
as it seems to grow up and become a really powerful and open alternative.

In fact it is already ...

Stefan

Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Maximilian Bräutigam

Am 28.06.2010 08:19, schrieb waltdnes@waltdnes.org:
> I have a 4-core Intel i3 (/proc/cpuinfo dump below) running 64 bit
> Gentoo. I want to try hosting 32-bit Gentoo and also OS/2 Warp 4 on it.
> What are people's experiences with different VM environments? Google
> searching turns up a lot of out-of-date blogs/wikis. My CPU...
>
> processor : 3
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 37
> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 2933.000
> cache size : 4096 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 4
> core id : 2
> cpu cores : 2
> apicid : 5
> initial apicid : 5
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 11
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
> syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
> xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
> ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm arat tpr_shadow vnmi
> flexpriority ept vpid
> bogomips : 5851.93
> clflush size : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:

Hi,

I'm using app-emulation/virtualbox-bin and it works really great, even
forwarding of usb devices, but I only tested WinXP in the box for
printing purpose. If you wanna have an open source product, consider
app-emulation/virtualbox-ose (open source edition).

* app-emulation/virtualbox-ose
Available versions: 3.0.12 3.1.8 (~)3.2.4-r1 (~)3.2.6 **9999
{+additions alsa +hal headless kernel_linux +opengl pulseaudio python
+qt4 sdk vboxwebsrv}
Best versions/slot: (~)3.2.6
Homepage: http://www.virtualbox.org/
License: GPL-2

* app-emulation/virtualbox-bin
Available versions: 3.0.12+i!m 3.1.8+i!m (~)3.2.4-r1+i!m
(~)3.2.6+i!m {+additions +chm headless python rdesktop-vrdp sdk vboxwebsrv}
Installed versions: Version: 3.2.6+i!m
> I have a 4-core Intel i3 (/proc/cpuinfo dump below) running 64 bit
> Gentoo. I want to try hosting 32-bit Gentoo and also OS/2 Warp 4 on it.
> What are people's experiences with different VM environments? Google
> searching turns up a lot of out-of-date blogs/wikis. My CPU...

I installed OS/2 Warp 4 with KVM and it "just worked" (TM)! It is also
incredibly fast (on a Core2 Duo).

HTH
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:40:53 +0200, Maximilian Bräutigam wrote:

> I'm using app-emulation/virtualbox-bin and it works really great, even
> forwarding of usb devices, but I only tested WinXP in the box for
> printing purpose. If you wanna have an open source product, consider
> app-emulation/virtualbox-ose (open source edition).

But bear in mind the the OSE has no USB support.

--
Neil Bothwick

Hello, this is an extension to the famous signature virus, called spymail.
Could you please copy me into your signature and send back what you were
doing last night between 10pm and 3am?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 PM

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 05:56:45PM +0700, Robin Atwood wrote

> I installed OS/2 Warp 4 with KVM and it "just worked" (TM)! It is also
> incredibly fast (on a Core2 Duo).

Thanks for that report. I'll try it out.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 30.06.2010 00:22, schrieb waltdnes@waltdnes.org:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 05:56:45PM +0700, Robin Atwood wrote
>
>> I installed OS/2 Warp 4 with KVM and it "just worked" (TM)! It is also
>> incredibly fast (on a Core2 Duo).
>
> Thanks for that report. I'll try it out.

KVM is nice.

Just before I recompiled the kernel on a dedicated server I will very
likely never see .... then emerged the packages and booted the first vm,
controlling it via ssh and libvirt ... nice, it is ...

Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 AM
walt

On 06/27/2010 11:19 PM, waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:

I want to try hosting 32-bit Gentoo and also OS/2 Warp 4...

I've found VirtualBox to be a bit faster than kvm only because of
their highly optimized graphics driver.

The vbox gui is also nice, but requires qt4 (a pain for us gnome
users). Anyone know if kvm has a similar gui for managing virtual
machines?

But my real reason for replying is to ask you why you're interested
in OS/2. I thought IBM lost interest in it ages ago. Am I wrong?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Crístian Viana

Anyone know if kvm has a similar gui for managing virtual

machines?

app-emulation/virt-manager*

Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 AM

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:20:08PM -0700, walt wrote

> But my real reason for replying is to ask you why you're interested
> in OS/2. I thought IBM lost interest in it ages ago. Am I wrong?

I have Galactic Civilizations V2.5, an OS/2-only game, on a 400 mhz
PII running Warp 4. I still love it after all these years. That
machine has lasted a lot longer than it should've, and it's damn loud.
Virtualize that, and I'll be one happy camper.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>