Old 06-28-2010, 06:19 AM

Default VM experiences and faqs?

I have a 4-core Intel i3 (/proc/cpuinfo dump below) running 64 bit
Gentoo. I want to try hosting 32-bit Gentoo and also OS/2 Warp 4 on it.
What are people's experiences with different VM environments? Google
searching turns up a lot of out-of-date blogs/wikis. My CPU...

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 37
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2933.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 2
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 5
initial apicid : 5
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm arat tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 5851.93
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64