Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Shaochun Wang

Default ext4 reserved space and defragmentation?

Hi:

I want to tune my ext4 filesystem of NAS data partition to free its
reserved space by using "tune2fs -m0 <partition>". By reading the
manual of tune2fs, I observed the following words:

"Reserving some number of filesystem blocks for use by
privileged processes is done to avoid filesystem
fragmentation"

It means that filesystem defragmentation need such reserved blocks to
work properly, am I right? If so, can I make the reserved blocks a
little because the default 5% is too much. My NAS filesystem is about
7x1.5T, then 5% means a lot of space.

--
Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>

Jabber: fungusw@jabber.org