Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Hibernate script trying to bring down non-existant "sit0"

Another little glitch on my new machine. I have hibernate enabled for
my regular user account via /etc/sudoers. The command fails due to an
error in NetworkStop. Switching to root, and running hibernate with the
verbose "-v3" option, I see the following...

hibernate: [60] Executing NetworkStop ...
Bringing down interface eth0
* Stopping eth0
* Bringing down eth0
* Shutting down eth0 ... [ ok ]
Bringing down interface sit0
hibernate: Aborting suspend due to errors in NetworkStop (use --force to override).

Hibernate dies trying to bring down "sit0". Huh??? I've checked...
- no /etc/init.d/net.sit0
- only eth0 is mentioned in /etc/conf.d/net
- ifconfig only shows "eth0" and "lo"
- lspci only shows one ethernet controller

For now, I've enabled hibernate with the --force option in sudoers,
but I'm not comfortable with it.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Mick

On Sunday 27 June 2010 00:00:57 waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:
> Another little glitch on my new machine. I have hibernate enabled for
> my regular user account via /etc/sudoers. The command fails due to an
> error in NetworkStop. Switching to root, and running hibernate with the
> verbose "-v3" option, I see the following...
>
> hibernate: [60] Executing NetworkStop ...
> Bringing down interface eth0
> * Stopping eth0
> * Bringing down eth0
> * Shutting down eth0 ... [ ok ]
> Bringing down interface sit0
> hibernate: Aborting suspend due to errors in NetworkStop (use --force to
> override).
>
> Hibernate dies trying to bring down "sit0". Huh??? I've checked...
> - no /etc/init.d/net.sit0

Check again using 'iconfig -a'.

You should see a IPv6-in-IPv4 interface there. Normally, this would not be up
unless you have set up some fancy tunnel with your ISP who would be
terminating your IPv6 link. My ISP offers this but have not as yet found a
use for it.
Mick

Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 AM

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:21:06AM +0100, Mick wrote

> Check again using 'iconfig -a'.
>
> You should see a IPv6-in-IPv4 interface there. Normally, this would
> not be up unless you have set up some fancy tunnel with your ISP
> who would be terminating your IPv6 link. My ISP offers this but
> have not as yet found a use for it.

Thanks for pointing out IPV6 to me. Since this is a brand new machine
with different components from my other system, I couldn't copy over
.config, so I had to configure the kernel manually. In the process, I
forgot to disable IPV6. The presence of IPV6 causes sit0 to show up. I
removed IPV6, and a regular hibernate works OK now. Thanks again.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>