Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Firefox + gentoo scrolling like a snail

It's weird.

Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it starts heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so until it (finallly) reaches the end.* I've mostly observed this in the downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it might not mean anything.

What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and does not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine.* A single click moves the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you click.* The worst part is that the application won't do anything else until the scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall page can take a couple of minutes.

I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.

Am I the only one seeing this?
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> It's weird.
>
> Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it starts
> heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so until
> it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed this in the downward
> direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it might not
> mean anything.
>
> What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and does
> not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. A single click moves
> the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you click. The
> worst part is that the application won't do anything else until the
> scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall page can take a
> couple of minutes.
>
> I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as
> expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.
>
> Am I the only one seeing this?

I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?

Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Dale

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

[...]

I have noticed this in Seamonkey too. Could this be something that both
Seamonkey and Firefox builds on? I always thought that is was my tired
finger. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Alex Schuster

Kevin O'Gorman writes:

> Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
> starts heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels
> or so until it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed this
> in the downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction
> anyway so it might not mean anything.

I see this in Konqueror sometimes, but only about once a week.

Wonko

Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> It's weird.

> Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it starts

> heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so until

> it (finallly) reaches the end. *I've mostly observed this in the downward

> direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it might not

> mean anything.

> What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and does

> not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. *A single click moves

> the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you click. *The

> worst part is that the application won't do anything else until the

> scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall page can take a

> couple of minutes.

> I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as

> expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.

> Am I the only one seeing this?

I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?

Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General
*

Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences
-> Advanced -> General checked: * - Always
use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
* - Use autoscrolling
*
- Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup
*
I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never
touched these.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 26 June 2010 19:08:58 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > It's weird.
> > >
> > > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
> >
> > starts
> >
> > > heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so
> > > until it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed this in the
> > > downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it
> > > might not mean anything.
> > >
> > > What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and
> >
> > does
> >
> > > not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. A single click
> > > moves the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you
> > > click. The worst part is that the application won't do anything else
> > > until the scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall
> > > page can take a couple of minutes.
> > >
> > > I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as
> > > expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.
> > >
> > > Am I the only one seeing this?
> >
> > I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?
> >
> > Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General
>
> Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General checked: -
> Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
> - Use autoscrolling
> - Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup
>
> I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never touched
> these.

My setup is similar, so I don't know where to go from here :-)

And someone else reported that heir konqueror does it too. If these things are
related that would cancel out Firefox itself and move over to the video system

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

If that's the case, I have a Nvidia card and use the Nvidia drivers.
Someone seeing this have something different?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 26 June 2010 19:08:58 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon

<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:

> > On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > > It's weird.

> > > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it

> > starts

> > > heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so

> > > until it (finallly) reaches the end. *I've mostly observed this in the

> > > downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it

> > > might not mean anything.

> > > What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and

> > does

> > > not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. *A single click

> > > moves the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you

> > > click. *The worst part is that the application won't do anything else

> > > until the scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall

> > > page can take a couple of minutes.

> > > I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as

> > > expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.

> > > Am I the only one seeing this?

> > I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?

> > Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General

> Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General checked: * -

> Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

> * - Use autoscrolling

> * - Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup

> I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never touched

> these.

My setup is similar, so I don't know where to go from here :-)

And someone else reported that heir konqueror does it too. If these things are

related that would cancel out Firefox itself and move over to the video system

Maybe.* It's also possible I'm seeing it when working with email.* I do that in
several ways, though, and I'll have to figure out which combination(s) actually

give me trouble.* Then I guess it will be bug-writing time.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > And someone else reported that heir konqueror does it too. If these
> > things are related that would cancel out Firefox itself and move
> > over to the video system

Well, my KDE does so many weird things, this still might be unrelated.
Similar problems are repeating keys, when suddenly the last key pressed is
output over and over again. When I move the mouse and another window gets
the focus, it gets the keypresses, too. I can deativate it by switching
to a text console (it does nto happen here), and pressing all kinds of
keys at once.
And from time to time some modifier key like shift or ctrl gets stuck
virtually. Again, pressing those modifier keys all at once like crazy ends
this.
And today all modifier keys suddenly stopped working at all. I had to log
out and in again.

> If that's the case, I have a Nvidia card and use the Nvidia drivers.
> Someone seeing this have something different?

I am using the ati-drivers / fglrx.

Wonko

Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 26 June 2010 16:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
> starts heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels
> or so until it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed
> this in the downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that
> direction anyway so it might not mean anything.

I've seen this too, but so rarely that I just blink at it and move on.
Maybe once or twice a year.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.