Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Matthias Fechner

Default Grub2 takes very long to make config or install

Hi,

I followed now the wiki page:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2

At the step to create the config file with:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and install grub2 with:
grub-install /dev/sda

it needs several hours to complete each of the commands. Is this normal?

Bye,
Matthias

Rich Cook

Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Alex Schuster

Matthias Fechner writes:

> I followed now the wiki page:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2

Down again.

> At the step to create the config file with:
> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> and install grub2 with:
> grub-install /dev/sda
>
> it needs several hours to complete each of the commands. Is this
> normal?

No.

Sorry, I have no idea why this happens. I used grub only once, but at
least I know it it did not take hours, it was about 1-2 seconds, or maybe
even less, I did not stop the time
Is there something in syslog when you run this, or are the -v arguments
that would make the process more verbose?

The old grub sometimes paused for around a minute because it searched for
the floppy, the --no-floppy switch speeded this up.

Wonko

Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Matthias Fechner

Hi,