Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Grant Edwards

Default DVD "FUSE decrypter" to allow non-DeCSS players to work with encrypted DVDs?

Let's say I have DVD playing software that can only play unencrypted
DVDs (either as ISO images or as mounted trees), and I want to use it
to play an encrypted DVD.

Is there any sort of FUSE+libdvdread+libdvddecss utility that can be
pointed at an encrypted DVD and then present to user-space apps
an unencrypted-filesystem-tree-view of that DVD?

So far, all I've been able to find is something called AnyDVD which
appears to do precisely what I want, but it's Windows-only.

[Yes, I know that mplayer, xine, totem, mythtv, etc. can all play
encrypted DVDs, but our problem statement is that we're limited to one
particular DVD player app, and it doesn't do decryption.]

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Boy, am I glad it's
at only 1971...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:14:00 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Is there any sort of FUSE+libdvdread+libdvddecss utility that can be
> pointed at an encrypted DVD and then present to user-space apps
> an unencrypted-filesystem-tree-view of that DVD?

media-video/vobcopy will copy the DVD files to hard disc, decrypting them
in the process.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't forget that MS-Windows is just a temporary workaround until you can
switch to a GNU system.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-23, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:14:00 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Is there any sort of FUSE+libdvdread+libdvddecss utility that can be
>> pointed at an encrypted DVD and then present to user-space apps
>> an unencrypted-filesystem-tree-view of that DVD?
>
> media-video/vobcopy will copy the DVD files to hard disc, decrypting them
> in the process.

Yes, thanks. I know about the ways to rip an encrypted DVD (vobcopy,
k9copy, dvd::rip, etc.). However, that's not what I'm asking about.

I don't want to rip the DVD to hard disc. I want to provide
unencrypted access to an encrypted DVD without copying the entire DVD
contents to a temporary location.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Half a mind is a
at terrible thing to waste!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-23, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's say I have DVD playing software that can only play unencrypted
> DVDs (either as ISO images or as mounted trees), and I want to use it
> to play an encrypted DVD.
>
> Is there any sort of FUSE+libdvdread+libdvddecss utility that can be
> pointed at an encrypted DVD and then present to user-space apps
> an unencrypted-filesystem-tree-view of that DVD?

Ah, I think I found a likely candidate:

http://jspenguin.org:81/dvdfs/
http://forum.opentvix.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=281

Not sure how I missed this in my first round of googling.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm changing the
at CHANNEL ... But all I get

Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-23, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Grant Edwards
><grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-06-23, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's say I have DVD playing software that can only play unencrypted
>>> DVDs (either as ISO images or as mounted trees), and I want to use it
>>> to play an encrypted DVD.
>>>
>>> Is there any sort of FUSE+libdvdread+libdvddecss utility that can be
>>> pointed at an encrypted DVD and then present to user-space apps
>>> an unencrypted-filesystem-tree-view of that DVD?
>>
>> Ah, I think I found a likely candidate:
>>
>> http://jspenguin.org:81/dvdfs/
>> http://forum.opentvix.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=281
>>
>> Not sure how I missed this in my first round of googling.
>
> Here's an alternative but similar-looking solution:
> http://www.daemoninc.com/dvdreadfs/

Cool. That one looks a little more friendly in that you can
apparently leave it "mounted" all the time. With dvdfs, it looks like
you need a daemon running to mount/unmount dvdfs when media changes.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I don't like FRANK
at SINATRA or his CHILDREN.