Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default trouble with broadcom wireless

Dell latitude E6510, ~amd64
kernel: 2-6.34 (gentoo sources)

lspci -vnn
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0010]
Memory at e6e00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-ff-ff-89-78-e4
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>

If I understood the wiki correctly, with the new kernel I don't have to
run b43-fwcutter, but just emerge the b43-firmware. I have done so and
also have the fwcutter emerged.

I have build b43 as both a kernel module and as a built-in component.
But neither eth1 nor wlan0 exist for either kernel configuration (eth0
is the hardwired ethernet)

I suspect there is another step I should be doing and would appreciate
any help you can offer.

thanks,
allan

Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:24:00 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I have build b43 as both a kernel module and as a built-in component.
> But neither eth1 nor wlan0 exist for either kernel configuration (eth0
> is the hardwired ethernet)

Are you sure this is a B43xx devices, the lspci output doesn't specify?
Some Dells use a different Broadcom card that needs the
net-wireless/broadcom-sta module to be emerged.

--
Neil Bothwick

This message has been cruelly tested on sweet little furry animals.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Mick

On 23 June 2010 09:23, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:24:00 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I have build b43 as both a kernel module and as a built-in component.
>> But neither eth1 nor wlan0 exist for either kernel configuration (eth0
>> is the hardwired ethernet)
>
> Are you sure this is a B43xx devices, the lspci output doesn't specify?
> Some Dells use a different Broadcom card that needs the
> net-wireless/broadcom-sta module to be emerged.

Mine is a different Broadcom card:

05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

but my kernel settings may help here:

$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -i b43
CONFIG_B43=m
CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
# CONFIG_B43_PCMCIA is not set
# CONFIG_B43_SDIO is not set
CONFIG_B43_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_LP=y
CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43_HWRNG=y
CONFIG_B43_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_B43_FORCE_PIO=y
# CONFIG_B43LEGACY is not set
CONFIG_SSB_B43_PCI_BRIDGE=y

I couldn't get it to show up until I selected the debug feature with
the FORCE_PIO option.

HTH
Mick

Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:23:40 +0100 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:24:00 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I have build b43 as both a kernel module and as a built-in component.
>> But neither eth1 nor wlan0 exist for either kernel configuration (eth0
>> is the hardwired ethernet)
>
> Are you sure this is a B43xx devices, the lspci output doesn't specify?
> Some Dells use a different Broadcom card that needs the
> net-wireless/broadcom-sta module to be emerged.

(I tried Mick's kernel settings, but with no effect).

Neil's suggestion to use broadcom-sta was the solution. It took some
effort to get the module to build, but was possible.

thank you both.
allan gottlieb