Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Alex Schuster

Default ISDN problems

Hi there!

I am having big trouble setting up ISDN. I'm a long-time ISDN user, I need
this for connecting to some remote systems that do not have an internet
connection. I always used my server for this, but due to a sudden
breakdown of phone+dsl on that machine (which is far away, I have no
physical access), I tried setting up ISDN on my machine here. BTW, all
machines on which I have set up ISDN have AVM Fritz PCI cards.

Trouble, big trouble. Normally, it should be just a matter of emerging
fcpci for the fcpci.ko kernel module, emerge capi4k-utils, edit a line in
/etc/capi.conf to define my card, then create a little config in
/etc/ppp/peers, and set the PAP login data in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. But
that does not work now.

net-dialup/fcpci does not compile, but I found a patch on bugs.gentoo.org,
and the module seems to load file. Apart from a message ("IRQ 20/fcpci:
IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs"), but I saw thsi in some
other howtos, so it's probably not a problem.

But /etc/init.d/capi fails to start, when calling 'capiinit activate':
ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No such device or
address (6)

This file is existing:
crw------- 1 root root 191, 20 22. Jun 23:35 /dev/capi20

Changing permissions does not help.

I also tried the other kernel modules, net-dialup/fritzcapi, but that does
not build either - it does not find linux/auconf.h. Huh? I have this in
/usr/lib64/klibc/include/ only. On other Gentoo systems, this should be in
the kernel's include directory. Maybe 2.6.33 is too new for that?

Then I tried mISDN, and guess what, it also does not compile at all. There
is a bug report (#265581), but its over a year old without progress.

So I downloaded mISDN and built it according to http://www.misdn.org/,
which seemed to work. But I get the same capi error. So it's probably not
a problem with the ISDN card kernel driver, but with the CAPI setup.

I'm out of ideas. What's wrong with /dev/capi20?

Wonko

Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
"Thomas U. Nockmann"

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 Alex Schuster wrote:
[...]

Hello,

> But /etc/init.d/capi fails to start, when calling 'capiinit
> activate': ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No
> such device or address (6)

I'd got the same message while setting up a hylafax-server. I solved it
by creating a new 50-udev.rules:

###
~ $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
KERNEL=="capi", NAME="capi20", SYMLINK+="isdn/capi20
faxCAPI", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"
KERNEL=="capi[0-9]*", NAME="capi/%n"
~ $
###
You may waive the faxCAPI-directive.

###
~ # capiinit status
1 fcpci running fcpci-bc00-17 A1 3.11-07 0xbc00 17
~ #
###

###
~ $ faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on abc.def.net: Running
Modem faxCAPI (+49.xxx.yyyyyyy): Running and idle
~ $
###

`@|@`thomas
-

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 23:23:53 Alex Schuster wrote:

> But /etc/init.d/capi fails to start, when calling 'capiinit activate':
> ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No such device or
> address (6)
>
> This file is existing:
> crw------- 1 root root 191, 20 22. Jun 23:35 /dev/capi20
>
> Changing permissions does not help.
>
> I also tried the other kernel modules, net-dialup/fritzcapi, but that does
> not build either - it does not find linux/auconf.h. Huh? I have this in
> /usr/lib64/klibc/include/ only. On other Gentoo systems, this should be in
> the kernel's include directory. Maybe 2.6.33 is too new for that?
>
> Then I tried mISDN, and guess what, it also does not compile at all. There
> is a bug report (#265581), but its over a year old without progress.
>
> So I downloaded mISDN and built it according to http://www.misdn.org/,
> which seemed to work. But I get the same capi error. So it's probably not
> a problem with the ISDN card kernel driver, but with the CAPI setup.
>
> I'm out of ideas. What's wrong with /dev/capi20?

Should the ownership be different than root:root perhaps? e.g. have you tried
root:tty, or root:dialup, or root:uucp, or whichever group is appropriate for
ISDN?

Mick

Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Alex Schuster

Thomas U. Nockmann wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 June 2010 Alex Schuster wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> > But /etc/init.d/capi fails to start, when calling 'capiinit
> > activate': ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No
> > such device or address (6)
>
> I'd got the same message while setting up a hylafax-server. I solved it
> by creating a new 50-udev.rules:
>
> ###
> ~ $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
> KERNEL=="capi", NAME="capi20", SYMLINK+="isdn/capi20
> faxCAPI", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"
> KERNEL=="capi[0-9]*", NAME="capi/%n"
> ~ $
> ###
> You may waive the faxCAPI-directive.

Sorry for not responding until now. My imminent ISDN problem was
workarounded, I got access to a machineI could use for that. And then my
phone problem was finally fixed, so I again have a PC I can use for that.
But I will shut it down soon, it's too much of a waste fo energy to let it
run only for being able to use it for ISDN, and das server for CVS and my
Wiki.

I first thougt your suggestions would just adjust the permissions, and
that does not seem to be the real problem, but I tried anyway, and got a
partial success! The error message is gone, and capiinfo shows stuff.
Thanks!

But still, pppd call <peer> does not work. The system seems to be dialing,
I see familiar messages, but that's it, no more messages at all.

When I just tried that again, the system even hung, I could not even
switch to a text shell, I had to reset. I suspected this had to do with
multiple drivers being loaded, these are running after system startup:

weird ~ # lsmod|grep -i isdn
mISDNipac 17480 1 avmfritz
mISDN_core 78152 3 avmfritz,mISDNipac

But I just tried again, after removing all avmfritz and mISDN modules. The
last message I get is:
capiplugin: using /dev/capi/0: "" -> "022112345678" outgoing (pcli=...)

I removed all modules again, commented out fcpci in /etc/capi.conf and
enabled avmfritz, started capi. But then capiinfo again gives the "capi
not installed" message.

I'm not sure what to do now, maybe have a deeper look at the mISDN
project. Why can't these things just keep working? And even worse, they
make my PC crash, which makes trying around further no joy.

Wonko

Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Alex Schuster

I wrote:

> Thomas U. Nockmann wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 June 2010 Alex Schuster wrote:

> But still, pppd call <peer> does not work. The system seems to be
> dialing, I see familiar messages, but that's it, no more messages at
> all.
>
> When I just tried that again, the system even hung, I could not even
> switch to a text shell, I had to reset.

Strange anough, I was able to dial to the arcor peer, which is an example
that comes with capi4kutils. When using the same file, except with
different number, user and password, the system hangs. Sort of. When in
text mode, I can still switch terminals, and it also works when using
screen. I can also enter text, but the enter key does nothing, and
ctrl-{C,D,Z} also do nothing.

Whatever.

I upgraded to tuxonice-sources-2.6.34, removed a single line in the fcpci
sources which made them not compile, and now all is working just as
expected.

Wonko