Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Tanstaafl

Default Legacy GRUB vs GRUB2

On 2010-06-18 12:17 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
> And finally, don't even mention how braindead the "new" improved
> grub is. I wonder how anyone can feel that having to write six
> paragraphs > in some one-off bash-like language, which needs to be
> debugged, is better than four lines in a config file.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...

Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Dale

And finally, don't even mention how braindead the "new" improved
grub is. I wonder how anyone can feel that having to write six
paragraphs> in some one-off bash-like language, which needs to be
debugged, is better than four lines in a config file.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...

Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?

If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more
than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm
dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo
and grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch to the new grub tho. I
have NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
walt

And finally, don't even mention how braindead the "new" improved
grub is. I wonder how anyone can feel that having to write six
paragraphs> in some one-off bash-like language, which needs to be
debugged, is better than four lines in a config file.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...

Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?

If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo and grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch
to the new grub tho. I have NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !

IIUC the change will be forced by mobo manufacturers when they adopt the
newer partition tables and boot/BIOS methods . They have catchy acronyms
that I can't remember, naturally, but we've all seen them discussed in this
group from time to time. Don't buy new mobos and you can stick to old grub.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Per-Erik Westerberg

tis 2010-06-22 klockan 12:15 -0700 skrev walt:
> On 06/22/2010 11:44 AM, Dale wrote:
> > Tanstaafl wrote:
> >> This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...
> >>
> >> Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
> >> like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
> >> Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?
> >>

> > If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo and grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch
> > to the new grub tho. I have NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !
>
> IIUC the change will be forced by mobo manufacturers when they adopt the
> newer partition tables and boot/BIOS methods . They have catchy acronyms
> that I can't remember, naturally, but we've all seen them discussed in this
> group from time to time. Don't buy new mobos and you can stick to old grub.

Is there a GRUB to GRUB2 migration guide somewhere in the Gentoo
Documentation?

BR / P-E

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag 22 Juni 2010, walt wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 11:44 AM, Dale wrote:
> > Tanstaafl wrote:
> >>
> >> This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...
> >>
> >> Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
> >> like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
> >> Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?
> >
> > If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more
> > than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm
> > dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo and
> > grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch to the new grub tho. I have
> > NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !
>
> IIUC the change will be forced by mobo manufacturers when they adopt the
> newer partition tables and boot/BIOS methods . They have catchy acronyms
> that I can't remember, naturally, but we've all seen them discussed in this
> group from time to time. Don't buy new mobos and you can stick to old
> grub.

mobos? why should mobos have any influence?

And what have mobos to do with the fact that whenever GNU lay their dirty
hands on a project they will no rest until they turned something decent and
usefull into an overly complex, drowned in obscure options and hard to
configure mess?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM
"Ivan S. Freitas"

Anyone tried gujin http://gujin.sourceforge.net/ ? I think it may
become an alernative to grub2, but I never found anyone who have used
it.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de ComputaÁ„o 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Prů Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Bill Longman

On 06/22/2010 12:29 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Dienstag 22 Juni 2010, walt wrote:

>>> If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more
>>> than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm
>>> dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo and
>>> grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch to the new grub tho. I have
>>> NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !
>>
>> IIUC the change will be forced by mobo manufacturers when they adopt the
>> newer partition tables and boot/BIOS methods . They have catchy acronyms
>> that I can't remember, naturally, but we've all seen them discussed in this
>> group from time to time. Don't buy new mobos and you can stick to old
>> grub.
>
> mobos? why should mobos have any influence?
>
> And what have mobos to do with the fact that whenever GNU lay their dirty
> hands on a project they will no rest until they turned something decent and
> usefull into an overly complex, drowned in obscure options and hard to
> configure mess?

Because of EFI firmware, that's why mobos would effect it. Like the Sun
Openboot PROM docs say somewhere: "BIOS? We don't need no stinkin'
BIOS". Same with the lame x86 status quo. At least nowadays we could
have two different versions of it on board and it's not a hardware chip
anymore, but, compared to most other intelligent platforms, PC BIOS is
pretty braindead.

Volker, I feel your pain every time I have to use two "--" instead of
one "-" on my flags. Does -help take one or two? (I'm sure I can easily
start a raging, apocalyptic forest fire by mentioning "man" and "info"
in the same sentence :-)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
walt