Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Mick

Default www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.1.53.64 won't play in FF & Konqueror

but will play in Opera.

Have you noticed the same and is there a fix (other than emerging
firefox-bin as the enotice is telling me?
Mick

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:03:00 Mick wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 17:16, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paul Hartman
> >
> > <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit? If 64, you need to emerge
> >> nspluginwrapper & set up the flash player plugin (if it doesn't do it
> >> automatically as part of the emerge)
> >
> > And I will add that I believe the reason Opera works is because it
> > ships with its own plug-in wrapper.
>
> Hmm I remerged nspluginwrapper and FF plays flash fine now, but
> Konqueror will still complain about missing plugin. :-(
>
> "Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash
> player. Download the correct version"
>
> I went into settings and clicked on Scan for new Plugins, but no
> success. Can you play this link with Konq?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10371590.stm

That page works just fine for me on 64-bit konqueror-4.4.4 with adobe-
flash-10.1.53.64 but I don't see any flash on it

I have nsplugins installed and manually performed the nspluginwrapper config
actions to enable the 32-bit flash plugin

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:34:19 you wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:03:00 Mick wrote:
> > On 22 June 2010 17:16, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > And I will add that I believe the reason Opera works is because it
> > > ships with its own plug-in wrapper.
> >
> > Hmm I remerged nspluginwrapper and FF plays flash fine now, but
> > Konqueror will still complain about missing plugin. :-(
> >
> > "Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash
> > player. Download the correct version"
> >
> > I went into settings and clicked on Scan for new Plugins, but no
> > success. Can you play this link with Konq?
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10371590.stm
>
> That page works just fine for me on 64-bit konqueror-4.4.4 with adobe-
> flash-10.1.53.64 but I don't see any flash on it

The picture next to the introductory paragraph is a flash video.

> I have nsplugins installed and manually performed the nspluginwrapper
> config actions to enable the 32-bit flash plugin

Do I need to do that? Won't Konq work with 64bit flash?

I have reinstalled kde-base/nsplugins but Konqueror will still not play.
Mick

Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 18:13:35 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > Hmm I remerged nspluginwrapper and FF plays flash fine now, but
> > Konqueror will still complain about missing plugin. *:-(
> >
> > "Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the
> > flash player. Download the correct version"
> >
> > I went into settings and clicked on Scan for new Plugins, but
> > no success. *Can you play this link with Konq?
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10371590.stm
>
> I'm not a Konqueror user and I'm not at home now so I can't try
> it, but it looks like you might need an additional package for
> Konqueror: kde-base/nsplugins

I have kde-base/nsplugins installed and my results are exactly the
same as Mick's

--
Peter
Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc67 kernel-2.6.34-gentoo

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Alex Schuster

And again, I had already written an answer to your last posting, but then
my dreaded mouse problem in KDE4 happened again, and I forgot to save the
mail as draft before logging out and in again.

Mick writes:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:34:19 you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:03:00 Mick wrote:

> > > Hmm I remerged nspluginwrapper and FF plays flash fine now, but
> > > Konqueror will still complain about missing plugin. :-(
> > >
> > > "Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash
> > > player. Download the correct version"
> > >
> > > I went into settings and clicked on Scan for new Plugins, but no
> > > success. Can you play this link with Konq?

Flash sometimes works with konqueror, sometimes not. Youtube videos play,
and then just stop after a while.

> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10371590.stm
> >
> > That page works just fine for me on 64-bit konqueror-4.4.4 with
> > adobe- flash-10.1.53.64 but I don't see any flash on it
>
> The picture next to the introductory paragraph is a flash video.

Sometmies I see an empty space, sometimes I see that black youtube
background with the white circles starting to circle around, then it
freezes. On one try I saw the first frames of the video, then it stopped.

> > I have nsplugins installed and manually performed the nspluginwrapper
> >
> > config actions to enable the 32-bit flash plugin
>
> Do I need to do that? Won't Konq work with 64bit flash?

Current flash is 32bit only, Adobe did not release a 64bit version. I hope
it will come, but I doubt it.
The former flash version was working fine in all browsers, but it has HUGE
security problems, so better don't use it.

> I have reinstalled kde-base/nsplugins but Konqueror will still not
> play.

I had to add /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins , then the Scan button found the
plugins.

Wonko

Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 23:46:07 Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:34:19 you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 June 2010 19:03:00 Mick wrote:

> > > I went into settings and clicked on Scan for new Plugins, but no
> > > success. Can you play this link with Konq?
> > >
> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10371590.stm
> >
> > That page works just fine for me on 64-bit konqueror-4.4.4 with adobe-
> > flash-10.1.53.64 but I don't see any flash on it
>
> The picture next to the introductory paragraph is a flash video.

OK, now I see it. And it plays fine for me

> > I have nsplugins installed and manually performed the nspluginwrapper
> >
> > config actions to enable the 32-bit flash plugin
>
> Do I need to do that? Won't Konq work with 64bit flash?

There is NO 64 bit flash in the latest packages, confirmed in the ebuild.

$ equery files adobe-flash
* Searching for adobeflash ...
* Contents of www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.1.53.64:
/etc
/etc/adobe
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg
/opt
/opt/netscape
/opt/netscape/plugins32
/opt/netscape/plugins32/libflashplayer.so
/usr
/usr/lib32
/usr/lib32/nsbrowser
/usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins
/usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/libflashplayer.so ->
/opt/netscape/plugins32/libflashplayer.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/adobe-flash-10.1.53.64
/usr/share/doc/adobe-flash-10.1.53.64/readme.txt.bz2
alan@nazgul ~ $ eix adobe-flash
[i] www-plugins/adobe-flash
Available versions: (~)9.0.277.0!m!s 10.0.45.2!m!s (~)10.0.45.2-r1!m!s
10.1.53.64!m!s {+32bit +64bit multilib}
Installed versions: 10.1.53.64!m!s(20:16:52 19/06/10)(multilib)
Homepage: http://www.adobe.com/

> I have reinstalled kde-base/nsplugins but Konqueror will still not play.

You need nspluginwrapper installed and configured. It will find all your 32-
bit plugins and do the necessary to make Konqueror aware of them. This doesn't
happen automatically, every time you update a plugin the config is broken and
has to be redone.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 00:31:38 Alex Schuster wrote:

> Flash sometimes works with konqueror, sometimes not. Youtube videos play,
> and then just stop after a while.

I must be lucky then, it's 100% reliable for me :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com