FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Samba freakiness; why isn't it reading MY /etc/samba/smb.conf file?

On Monday 21 June 2010 23:44:58 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I just rebooted the computer to make sure this wasn't some weird RAM
> remnant, but the computer booted up:

Everything below is correct. What makes you think its wrong?

testparm does not dump a config file, it tells you what setting are IN EFFECT.

"writeable=yes" and "read only = No" are exactly the same thing. You used the
former, samba uses the latter internally and translated it.

There is no problem here.




>
> carter ~ # /etc/init.d/samba status
> * status: started
> carter ~ # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> [global]
> workgroup = MYGROUP
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = yes
> guest account = guest
> wins support = yes
> local master = yes
> os level = 99
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
> interfaces = eth0
>
> [tmp]
> path=/tmp
> writeable=yes
>
> [homes]
> path=/samba/michael
> valid users=michael
> writable=yes
> carter ~ # testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
> Processing section "[tmp]"
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
> workgroup = MYGROUP
> interfaces = eth0
> guest account = guest
> os level = 99
> preferred master = Yes
> domain master = Yes
> wins support = Yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
>
> [tmp]
> path = /tmp
> read only = No
>
> [homes]
> path = /samba/michael
> valid users = michael
> read only = No
>
> At the top there you see that Samba IS started. Under that you see MY
> smb.conf, and at the bottom you see the smb.conf that's being loaded.
> Nothing really in the logs that would suggest what's going on here:
>
> carter ~ # cat /var/log/samba/*
> cat: /var/log/samba/cores: Is a directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:854(main)
> nmbd version 3.4.6 started.
> Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:155(start_async_dns)
> started asyncdns process 20980
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:337(become_domain_master_browser _wins)
> become_domain_master_browser_wins:
> Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP,
> subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:351(become_domain_master_browser _wins)
> become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
> 192.168.1.2 for domain master browser name MYGROUP<1b> on workgroup
> MYGROUP
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:110(become_domain_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba server CARTER is now a domain master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:292(become_domain_master_browser _bcast)
> become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
> Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP on
> subnet 192.168.1.2
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:305(become_domain_master_browser _bcast)
> become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet 192.168.1.2 for
> domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP
> [2010/06/21 16:39:48, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:110(become_domain_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba server CARTER is now a domain master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.2
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:56, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:395(become_local_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba name server CARTER is now a local master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.2
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] smbd/server.c:1073(main)
> smbd version 3.4.6 started.
> Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] printing/print_cups.c:103(cups_connect)
> Unable to connect to CUPS server /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631 - No such
> file or directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] printing/print_cups.c:103(cups_connect)
> Unable to connect to CUPS server /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631 - No such
> file or directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket)
> smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket)
> smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Greg Fitzgerald
 
Default Samba freakiness; why isn't it reading MY /etc/samba/smb.conf file?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 04:44:58 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I just rebooted the computer to make sure this wasn't some weird RAM
> remnant, but the computer booted up:
>
> carter ~ # /etc/init.d/samba status
> * status: started
> carter ~ # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> [global]
> workgroup = MYGROUP
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = yes
> guest account = guest
> wins support = yes
> local master = yes
> os level = 99
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
> interfaces = eth0
>
> [tmp]
> path=/tmp
> writeable=yes
>
> [homes]
> path=/samba/michael
> valid users=michael
> writable=yes
> carter ~ # testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
> Processing section "[tmp]"
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
> workgroup = MYGROUP
> interfaces = eth0
> guest account = guest
> os level = 99
> preferred master = Yes
> domain master = Yes
> wins support = Yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
>
> [tmp]
> path = /tmp
> read only = No
>
> [homes]
> path = /samba/michael
> valid users = michael
> read only = No
>
> At the top there you see that Samba IS started. Under that you see MY
> smb.conf, and at the bottom you see the smb.conf that's being loaded.
> Nothing really in the logs that would suggest what's going on here:
>
> carter ~ # cat /var/log/samba/*
> cat: /var/log/samba/cores: Is a directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:854(main)
> nmbd version 3.4.6 started.
> Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:155(start_async_dns)
> started asyncdns process 20980
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:337(become_domain_master_browser _wins)
> become_domain_master_browser_wins:
> Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP,
> subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:351(become_domain_master_browser _wins)
> become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
> 192.168.1.2 for domain master browser name MYGROUP<1b> on workgroup
> MYGROUP
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:110(become_domain_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba server CARTER is now a domain master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:292(become_domain_master_browser _bcast)
> become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
> Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP on
> subnet 192.168.1.2
> [2010/06/21 16:39:40, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:305(become_domain_master_browser _bcast)
> become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet 192.168.1.2 for
> domain master browser on workgroup MYGROUP
> [2010/06/21 16:39:48, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:110(become_domain_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba server CARTER is now a domain master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.2
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:56, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:395(become_local_master_stage2)
> *****
>
> Samba name server CARTER is now a local master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.2
>
> *****
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] smbd/server.c:1073(main)
> smbd version 3.4.6 started.
> Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] printing/print_cups.c:103(cups_connect)
> Unable to connect to CUPS server /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631 - No such
> file or directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:33, 0] printing/print_cups.c:103(cups_connect)
> Unable to connect to CUPS server /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631 - No such
> file or directory
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket)
> smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use
> [2010/06/21 16:39:34, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket)
> smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use
>
>
>

I recently ran into what appears to be the same issue on OpenBSD. For
some reason commenting out the interfaces setting did it for me. I got a
feeling there maybe a bug, but I haven't had time to look into it more.

--
Best Regards,
Greg Fitzgerald
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org