Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Questions re swap and hibernate interaction on 8 gig machine

I just got a brand new custom-built 8 gig machine. There's an outfit
in north Toronto that has MSI motherboards with PS/2 ports, so I can
keep my genuine IBM PS/2 clickety-clack-keyboard; wooooohooooo. And the
integrated Intel graphics chip has *BOTH VGA AND DIGITAL OUTPUTS*!

Anyhow, I have 8 gigs of ram on the sytem (will obviously be 64-bit
Gentoo) and I want to know how much swap I need. The general rule of
thumb is twice the ram. In this case, it would be 16 gigs. I think
that it may not need swap when up, unless I do some heavy duty stuff.
My main concern about a swap partition is how much I need for
hibernate-to-disk to work. Is there a rule about this, or should I
simply allocate 16 gigs out of my terabyte drive, and play it safe?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>