Old 06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Jarry

Default what should I restart after changing /etc/resolv.conf?

Hi,

I modified /etc/resolv.conf (added opendns-servers in addition
to my own), but I do not know what I should restart for these
changes to come into effect...

I could restart the whole system, but there sure must be some
cleaner way. Any idea?

Jarry

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 19 June 2010 19:15:28 Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I modified /etc/resolv.conf (added opendns-servers in addition
> to my own), but I do not know what I should restart for these
> changes to come into effect...
>
> I could restart the whole system, but there sure must be some
> cleaner way. Any idea?

Do nothing.

There is no need to restart anything. Your changes are already working and in
use (assuming that you have not made them 4th or higher in the list).

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Dale

Jarry wrote:

Hi,

I modified /etc/resolv.conf (added opendns-servers in addition
to my own), but I do not know what I should restart for these
changes to come into effect...

I could restart the whole system, but there sure must be some
cleaner way. Any idea?

Jarry

When I changed mine a while back, I don't think I restarted anything.
From my understanding, it reads resolv.conf each time the network tries
to go to the internet. I guess you could restart the network to make
sure tho.

If you have wireshark or something similar installed, start it to
listening and then visit a website or something. Then look and see if
it went to the new DNS server or the old one.

Dale

:-) :-)