Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Recover from memory corruption

I found out a computer of mine has been working with a bad memory
configuration which could lead to wrong values (sometimes failing on
memtest). Not only did it freeze during a world update, but it was also
running this way for a long time.

So I guess some binaries might have errors on it, due to memory
corruption during compilation and linking. (Although the errors seems to
freeze the system immediately, preventing any kind of long term effects
(like installing a broken version) I suppose it's better not to trust
that...)

What's the best way to make sure the system is recovered? Reemerging
everything (-e) might fail if some essential package is already broken,
right?

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:04:46 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:

> What's the best way to make sure the system is recovered? Reemerging
> everything (-e) might fail if some essential package is already broken,
> right?

At least you'll then know what's broken. Try emerge -e --keep-going. It
will give you a list of failed packages at the end, then do what is
needed to get those to merge.

--
Neil Bothwick

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:04:46 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to make sure the system is recovered? Reemerging
>> everything (-e) might fail if some essential package is already broken,
>> right?
>
> At least you'll then know what's broken. Try emerge -e --keep-going. It
> will give you a list of failed packages at the end, then do what is
> needed to get those to merge.

Thanks for your pointers.

I did emerge -e system then emerge -e world. As there were some pending
upgrades this wasn't as easy as it'd be in an up-to-date systems --
and I decided it was a good idea to sync the tree, anyway (just to make
sure it was sane).

But now, after several complete remerges, it's all freshly compiled. If
something is broken and didn't show up yet, that must mean pigs can fly.

--
Thanks,