Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Sending IMs from a script

I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't find
a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able to send
alerts to people from a monitoring program.

--
Neil Bothwick

Invertebrates make no bones about it.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

This is what I know from past resources of ICQ, at least: even if someone is not on your contact list, you can send and e-mail to something like <UIN>@SOMETHING.icq.com and the message will arrive to that user.

For other protocols, I don't even know how to help you.
Hmm, when you install pidgin, it also installs a text-based IM software, for you to use from a console. Maybe you should take a look at that.

Regards,

Saffi

I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't find
a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able to send
alerts to people from a monitoring program.

--
Neil Bothwick

Invertebrates make no bones about it.

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)
Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)

Cell: +55 (19) 8128-0435
Skype: ricardo_saffi_marques
Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:04:31AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't find
> a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able to send
> alerts to people from a monitoring program.

I have a solution for you (thought I do not know how this is related to
gentoo). Look at http://vorner.pretel.cz/en/projects.html#jelnet -- it's
a jabber telnet, you can let it connect to server and pipe some raw
protocol into it.

So you need something like:

jeltet bot@address --password=password <<END
<message to='recipient@server' type='headline'>
<subject>Notification</subject>
</message>
END

It has a disadvantage -- it logs in, sends a message and logs out every
time you send a notification. If you want to send from time to time, it
is no problem, but with a notification every minute or so, it can be an
issue. (Then you might need some fifo, cat, & and tricks like that)

I hope this helps.

--
I left the ssh key under the doormat

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Neil Bothwick:

> I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't find
> a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able to send
> alerts to people from a monitoring program.

use perl or die();

You could try searching http://search.cpan.org for your IM protocol and find
a module that fits.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:35:26 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> use perl or die();

I think I'd prefer the latter option

--
Neil Bothwick

Your lack of organisation does not represent an
emergency in my world.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Robert Cernansky

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:04:31 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't
> find a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able
> to send alerts to people from a monitoring program.

For jabber solution, emerge dev-python/xmpppy and then use this
script: http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/examples/xsend.py to send
messages.

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky
E-mail: hslists2@zoznam.sk

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
"David Lindquist"

On Jan 16, 2008 2:19 AM, Ricardo Saffi Marques <saffi@las.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:
> Hmm, when you install pidgin, it also installs a text-based IM software, for
> you to use from a console. Maybe you should take a look at that.

Pidgin's dbus interface can be used to send IM messages. The
purple-remote python script that installs with Pidgin can send IMs
from the command line via the goim command.

--
David

Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:02:12 +0100, Robert Cernansky wrote:

> For jabber solution, emerge dev-python/xmpppy and then use this
> script: http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/examples/xsend.py to send
> messages.

That's perfect, thanks very much.

Thanks for the other responses too, but I'd rather not install a full IM
client on this box.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, as the EEC outlawed his favourite sized honey pot.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 AM
forgottenwizard

On 23:51 Wed 16 Jan , Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:02:12 +0100, Robert Cernansky wrote:
>
> > For jabber solution, emerge dev-python/xmpppy and then use this
> > script: http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/examples/xsend.py to send
> > messages.
>
> That's perfect, thanks very much.
>
> Thanks for the other responses too, but I'd rather not install a full IM
> client on this box.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> "Bother," said Pooh, as the EEC outlawed his favourite sized honey pot.

Just for refrence, you could use an IRC client connected to bitlbee to
do the same thing, and all you would have to do would learn how to
handle scripting responses into the irc client.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
"Anthony E. Caudel"

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I would have thought this was easy, but I've looked around and can't find
> a program that will send IMs from a script. I need to be able to send
> alerts to people from a monitoring program.

An alternate way to send alerts is to send an email to their mobile phone.

Tony

--
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin