-   -   Trying to expunge virtualbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/387458-trying-expunge-virtualbox.html)

"Walter Dnes" 06-18-2010 01:03 AM

Trying to expunge virtualbox

Just recently switched to a backup machine and I notice the following.
Some time ago, I had tried Virtualbox, and uninstalled it. I still get
the following as the final 2 lines of the bootup process...

* Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...
* modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why

- I've tried "dmesg | grep -i box", and it shows nothing.
- emerge -pv --depclean | grep -i box
only hits on "busybox", "dosbox", and "sandbox"
- There is no mention of vboxdrv in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
or in /var/lib/portage/world or in /etc/conf.d/local.start

Any more ideas?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

David Relson 06-18-2010 01:39 AM

Trying to expunge virtualbox

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:03:45 -0400
Walter Dnes wrote:

> Just recently switched to a backup machine and I notice the
> following. Some time ago, I had tried Virtualbox, and uninstalled
> it. I still get the following as the final 2 lines of the bootup
> process...
>
> * Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...
> * modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why
>
> - I've tried "dmesg | grep -i box", and it shows nothing.
> - emerge -pv --depclean | grep -i box
> only hits on "busybox", "dosbox", and "sandbox"
> - There is no mention of vboxdrv
> in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 or in /var/lib/portage/world or
> in /etc/conf.d/local.start
>
> Any more ideas?

Have you looked in /etc/mod*.conf and /etc/mod*.d/* ??

Bill Longman 06-18-2010 03:51 PM

On 06/17/2010 06:03 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> Just recently switched to a backup machine and I notice the following.
> Some time ago, I had tried Virtualbox, and uninstalled it. I still get
> the following as the final 2 lines of the bootup process...
>
> * Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...
> * modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why
>
> - I've tried "dmesg | grep -i box", and it shows nothing.
> - emerge -pv --depclean | grep -i box
> only hits on "busybox", "dosbox", and "sandbox"
> - There is no mention of vboxdrv in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
> or in /var/lib/portage/world or in /etc/conf.d/local.start
>
> Any more ideas?

Anything in /etc/init.d or /opt/VirtualBox?

"Walter Dnes" 06-19-2010 06:52 AM

Trying to expunge virtualbox

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:51:30AM -0700, Bill Longman wrote

> Anything in /etc/init.d or /opt/VirtualBox?

Yes and yes...

[d530][root][~] rc-update del vboxdrv
* 'vboxdrv' removed from the following runlevels: default

and freed up some space with...

d530][root][~] rm -rf /opt/VirtualBox

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Stroller 06-20-2010 01:56 AM

Trying to expunge virtualbox

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:51:30AM -0700, Bill Longman wrote

Anything in /etc/init.d or /opt/VirtualBox?

Yes and yes...

[d530][root][~] rc-update del vboxdrv
* 'vboxdrv' removed from the following runlevels: default

This will not, of course, remove the /etc/init.d script.

Stroller.