Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Can't boot into X

The dri messages are normal for nvidia.

Run revdep-rebuild to fix the png issue.

On 17 Jun 2010 5:59 PM, "Colleen Beamer" <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:

First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant - could be my stupidity, but I did try!

About 6 days ago, I updated my system and since then, I can't boot into X.* My nvidia driver loads okay and it looks like it is going to start X, but then reverts to the command line.* I've been sick and haven't really been able to follow this up.

Also note that I can't provide any output because I am, obviously, not on my computer.* Details are as follows:

From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:

(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)

(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet:* error while loading shared libraries:* libpng12.so.0:* cannot open shared object file:* No such file or directory

I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf file
The dri line in my xorg.conf file exists, but it is commented
I do not build dri into my kernel

Yesterday, I decided to try another update to see if there was an ebuild that might have corrected whatever the problem was

On attempting to upgrade gtk+, it fails and I get told to run:
emerge --info =x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9

When I do that, there is a USE line which includes dri and I'm not sure where that is being pulled from unless it is global because as stated previously, I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf or an active line in my xorg.conf file.

Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being blocked by the existing one.* I don't know if this makes a difference.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Regards,

Colleen

Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Alex Schuster

Colleen Beamer writes:

> First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
> could be my stupidity, but I did try!

Fine

> From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:
>
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

I have this too, when using ati-drivers. I think the nvidia-drivers also
have their own dri, so this is okay.

> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
> libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
[...]
> Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng
> prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being
> blocked by the existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.

This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to
libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links
against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.
Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no
'not found' entries.

Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still
linked to the old libpng.

You could also try to emerge media-libs/libpng:1.2, this will install the
old libpng in parallel. At least I do have both on my system, but my kdm
inks to 1.4. If the revdep-rebuild list is very long, maybe you can get a
working system faster this way.

Wonko

Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
James

Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
> could be my stupidity, but I did try!About 6 days ago, I updated
> my system and since then, I can't boot into X.

emerge -1 `qlist -I -C x11-drivers`

is always a quick test?
(shooting from hip, blindly)

hth,
James

Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Dale

James wrote:

Colleen Beamer<colleen.beamer<at> gmail.com> writes:

First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
could be my stupidity, but I did try!About 6 days ago, I updated
my system and since then, I can't boot into X.

emerge -1 `qlist -I -C x11-drivers`

is always a quick test?
(shooting from hip, blindly)

hth,
James

Since this is a common problem, create a set with those packages in it
and then just rebuild the set. This is my set up:

/etc/portage/sets/xorg-drivers

Which contains the following packages:

root@smoker-new / # cat /etc/portage/sets/xorg-drivers
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
root@smoker-new / #

This way you don't have to remember the command to list them but just
re-emerge the set. Your packages may differ so don't copy mine exactly.

May not fix the current issue but may be handy in the future.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Mick

On Thursday 17 June 2010 17:54:35 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Colleen Beamer writes:
> > First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
> > could be my stupidity, but I did try!
>
> Fine
>
> > From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:
> >
> > (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> > (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> I have this too, when using ati-drivers. I think the nvidia-drivers also
> have their own dri, so this is okay.
>
> > /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory
>
> [...]
>
> > Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng
> > prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being
> > blocked by the existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.
>
> This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to
> libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links
> against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.
> Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no
> 'not found' entries.
>
> Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still
> linked to the old libpng.
>
> You could also try to emerge media-libs/libpng:1.2, this will install the
> old libpng in parallel. At least I do have both on my system, but my kdm
> inks to 1.4. If the revdep-rebuild list is very long, maybe you can get a
> working system faster this way.

media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 is still ~amd64 and ~x86, so there shouldn't be a need
to emerge it at this stage. Alex's suggestion to emerge -1aDv kde-base/kdm
will most likely fix your problem and you can run revdep-rebuild afterwards
for good measure.
Mick

Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Colleen Beamer

Thanks for the response.* However, this has opened another can of worms and I'm bowing to the expertise of this list to help

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

Colleen Beamer writes:.

> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: *error while loading shared libraries:

> libpng12.so.0: *cannot open shared object file: *No such file or

> directory

[...]

> Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng

> prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being

> blocked by the existing one. *I don't know if this makes a difference.

This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to

libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links

against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.

Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no

'not found' entries.

I don't remember why I unmasked the unstable version of libpng.* However, following your advice, I first attempted to reinstall kdm.* This had been an update 6 days ago when all this started.* The emerge bombed.* Therefore, I fixed my package.keywords file so, the unstable version of libpng would not emerge and re-emerged libpng.* I can now boot into X.

Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still

linked to the old libpng.

The can of worms comes from doing revdep-rebuild.* However, the actual revdep-rebuild bombs and I get told that there are no e-builds to satisfy PyQt:0.

I admit that I have qt3support as a USE flag. Don't know if this is the issue and if I should remove it.* Advice?

Regards,

Colleen

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Alex Schuster

Colleen Beamer writes:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
> wrote:

> I don't remember why I unmasked the unstable version of libpng.
> However, following your advice, I first attempted to reinstall kdm.
> This had been an update 6 days ago when all this started. The emerge
> bombed. Therefore, I fixed my package.keywords file so, the unstable
> version of libpng would not emerge and re-emerged libpng. I can now
> boot into X.

Okay, this should have fixed a lot of broken things. I guess your revdep-
rebuid list would be even longer without this library.

> > Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are
> > still linked to the old libpng.
>
> The can of worms comes from doing revdep-rebuild. However, the actual
> revdep-rebuild bombs and I get told that there are no e-builds to
> satisfy PyQt:0.

PyQt is in the kde-sunset overlay which contains all stuff needed for KDE
3.5. Do you have such things installed? Or is PyQt accidentally in your
/var/lib/portage/world file? emerge -pv --depclean PyQt should show you
which stuff pulls it in.
If you think nothing needs it, remove it with emerge -Ca PyQt, and try
revdep-rebuild again. Or add the kde-sunset overlay with layman.

> I admit that I have qt3support as a USE flag. Don't know if this is the
> issue and if I should remove it. Advice?

I do not have it set explicitely, but for me this USE flag is also
activated, probably because of the desktop profile. I do not have PyQt
installed.

Wonko

Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
CJoeB

On 06/18/10 19:21, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Colleen Beamer writes:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> The can of worms comes from doing revdep-rebuild. However, the actual
>> revdep-rebuild bombs and I get told that there are no e-builds to
>> satisfy PyQt:0.
>>
> PyQt is in the kde-sunset overlay which contains all stuff needed for KDE
> 3.5. Do you have such things installed? Or is PyQt accidentally in your
> /var/lib/portage/world file? emerge -pv --depclean PyQt should show you
> which stuff pulls it in.
> If you think nothing needs it, remove it with emerge -Ca PyQt, and try
> revdep-rebuild again. Or add the kde-sunset overlay with layman.

As it turns out, this wasn't necessary. On running revdep-rebuild, a
lot of files were looking for libpangocairo. Thinking that I'm so
smart, I tried to emerge this, but of course, there was no such
package. A google search discovered that libpangocairo is provided by
pango-1.28.x. I only had 1.26.x on my system. 1.28.x was masked, but
if fixed my package.keywords file, emerged pango-1.28.1 and that solved
all of my problems - I could even do the remaining updates on my system
which started with gtk+.

Not sure exactly what was going on here, but I'm back and running and
that's all I care about. revdep-rebuild has been cleared.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Colleen

--