-   -   Can't boot into X (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/387212-cant-boot-into-x.html)

Colleen Beamer 06-17-2010 03:58 PM

Can't boot into X

First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant - could be my stupidity, but I did try!

About 6 days ago, I updated my system and since then, I can't boot into X.* My nvidia driver loads okay and it looks like it is going to start X, but then reverts to the command line.* I've been sick and haven't really been able to follow this up.

Also note that I can't provide any output because I am, obviously, not on my computer.* Details are as follows:

From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:

(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)

(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet:* error while loading shared libraries:* libpng12.so.0:* cannot open shared object file:* No such file or directory

I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf file
The dri line in my xorg.conf file exists, but it is commented
I do not build dri into my kernel

Yesterday, I decided to try another update to see if there was an ebuild that might have corrected whatever the problem was

On attempting to upgrade gtk+, it fails and I get told to run:
emerge --info =x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9

When I do that, there is a USE line which includes dri and I'm not sure where that is being pulled from unless it is global because as stated previously, I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf or an active line in my xorg.conf file.

Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being blocked by the existing one.* I don't know if this makes a difference.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Regards,

Colleen