Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
"pat"

Default turn on wifi enables also bluetooth

Hello,

I have Dell Latitude E4300 notebook where the wifi and bluetooth (BT) is
turned on by one HW switch. So, on windows if the switch is turned on there is
possible to turn off one of these devices (from windows try stop the device).
Is there something similar in Linux? Some application which is opened right
after turning on of the switch and the application allow me to choose to turn
on wifi or bt or both? Or is there a script which can be used to turn of the
device even if the switch is on?

In common I don't want to turn on BT when using wifi and vice versa.

Thanks to all for help

Pat

Freehosting PIPNI - http://www.pipni.cz/

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Mick

On 17 June 2010 13:43, pat <pat@xvalheru.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Dell Latitude E4300 notebook where the wifi and bluetooth (BT) is
> turned on by one HW switch. So, on windows if the switch is turned on there is
> possible to turn off one of these devices (from windows try stop the device).
> Is there something similar in Linux? Some application which is opened right
> after turning on of the switch and the application allow me to choose to turn
> on wifi or bt or both? Or is there a script which can be used to turn of the
> device even if the switch is on?
>
> In common I don't want to turn on BT when using wifi and vice versa.

Emerge net-wireless/rfkill and check if there are different switches
for your bt (there should be at least one device for the wireless).

Alternatively, if you would rather 'switched off' control of wifi/bt
at a software level you could run:

/etc/init.d/bluetooth stop

Mick

Old 06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 02:43:15PM +0200, pat wrote:
> I have Dell Latitude E4300 notebook where the wifi and bluetooth (BT) is
> turned on by one HW switch. So, on windows if the switch is turned on there is
> possible to turn off one of these devices (from windows try stop the device).
> Is there something similar in Linux? Some application which is opened right
> after turning on of the switch and the application allow me to choose to turn
> on wifi or bt or both? Or is there a script which can be used to turn of the
> device even if the switch is on?

Try net-wireless/rfkill
You may need to have kernel support compiled (CONFIG_RFKILL, if I
remember right). It also depends on rfkill support to have been coded
into the drivers for your bluetooth and/or wifi devices.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton