Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux

At Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:04:23 -0500 Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
>> However, it seems to be quite repeatable.
>>
>> I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
>> windows 7 and gentoo linux.
>>
>> The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
>> windows has been run since power on.
>>
>> If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
>> Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get
>>
>> linux boots and eth0 works
>> reboot
>> linux boots and eth0 works
>> reboot
>> linux boots and eth0 works
>>
>> but now reboot into windows and we get State B
>> windows boots and eth0 works
>> reboot to linux
>> linux boots but eth0 fails
>> reboot
>> linux boots but eth0 fails
>> reboot
>> linux boots but eth0 fails.
>>
>> If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
>> we get back to State A
>>
>> power on
>> linux boots and eth0 works
>> reboot
>> linux boots and eth0 works
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.
>>
>> thanks,
>> allan
>>

> I read about this ages ago. I *think* it was windoze doing some sort
> of a shutdown on the card, disabling it or putting it into sleep mode
> if you want to call it that. It appears that Linux isn't "waking" the
> card up but a power cycle does. It also appears that windoze "wakes"
> the card up when it boots.
>
> I'm pretty sure they found a fix but I can't recall what they did. It
> seems they changed some sort of setting in windoze but not real sure.
> May want to google the mailing list archives and see if you can find
> it. I know it is older than the archives I have here. I keep them
> for a year then it dumps them. So it's been a good while. May have
> to dig back a while.

Thank you and thanks to nikos. I have googled a little and the new ones
I see are slightly different and the old ones use older versions of the
kernel and hence driver. I run gentoo-sources-2.6.34

> Biggest point of reply, you're not nuts.

Indeed, I was concerned about that.

I must say that the problem is easy for me to work around. I hardly
ever use windows (maybe once every month or two once the systems are
stably installed), so having to power down is no big deal. I was just
worried that I had something badly configured.

thank you both again,
allan

Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Alex Schuster

Allan Gottlieb writes:

> The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
> windows has been run since power on.

I _think_ I read about such a problem ages ago, and there was a
workaround. Either in the BIOS, or in Windows, some Wake-On-LAN option. If
activated, Windows would not shut down the device, so Wake-On-LAN will
continue to work.

My memory on this is vague, but it might be worth a try to look into that.

Wonko

Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:27:38 +0200 Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb writes:
>
>> The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
>> windows has been run since power on.
>
> I _think_ I read about such a problem ages ago, and there was a
> workaround. Either in the BIOS, or in Windows, some Wake-On-LAN option. If
> activated, Windows would not shut down the device, so Wake-On-LAN will
> continue to work.
>
> My memory on this is vague, but it might be worth a try to look into that.

Thanks. I just looked and the google hits I looked were about trouble
recovering from hibernation.

thanks again,
allan