Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux

I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
However, it seems to be quite repeatable.

I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
windows 7 and gentoo linux.

The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
windows has been run since power on.

If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get

linux boots and eth0 works
reboot
linux boots and eth0 works
reboot
linux boots and eth0 works

but now reboot into windows and we get State B
windows boots and eth0 works
reboot to linux
linux boots but eth0 fails
reboot
linux boots but eth0 fails
reboot
linux boots but eth0 fails.

If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
we get back to State A

power on
linux boots and eth0 works
reboot
linux boots and eth0 works

etc.

This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.

thanks,
allan

Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

The explanation is that the Windows driver leaves the hardware in a
state that the Linux driver doesn't expect. A warm reboot doesn't reset
it correctly. Only a cold one does. This is usually a bug in the Linux
driver. Might be worth reporting upstream.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Dale

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

[...]

I read about this ages ago. I *think* it was windoze doing some sort of
a shutdown on the card, disabling it or putting it into sleep mode if
you want to call it that. It appears that Linux isn't "waking" the card
up but a power cycle does. It also appears that windoze "wakes" the
card up when it boots.

I'm pretty sure they found a fix but I can't recall what they did. It
seems they changed some sort of setting in windoze but not real sure.
May want to google the mailing list archives and see if you can find
it. I know it is older than the archives I have here. I keep them for
a year then it dumps them. So it's been a good while. May have to dig
back a while.

Biggest point of reply, you're not nuts. Someone else had the same
problem. lol Hard to believe I remember as much as I did tho. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)