Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Jake Moe

Default Boot hangs after install, no error

I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get is:

Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`

root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]

It then sits there. No error, no other messages. The hard drive light
stops, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys don't respond. If I press
the power button, it immediately turns off.

The laptop is a HP 8440p and I've installed amd64. I've followed the
install guide, and the hard drive has Windows, EXT2 /boot, swap, EXT3 /
on it. I've compiled EXT2, EXT3 and SATA AHCI into the kernel.

Does anyone have any idea what I've forgotten or missed? If you need
more info, let me know. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jake Moe

Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 AM
walt