Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default root partition lost - backup too old - please help

Hi,

due to a disk crash I've lost my root partition.
Unfortunately, the backup version is 4 weeks old.
But my /usr partition is up-to-date and I have
binary build-pkgs.
What's the fastest way to restore the portage-relevant
data on the root partition?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Montag 14 Juni 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> due to a disk crash I've lost my root partition.
> Unfortunately, the backup version is 4 weeks old.
> But my /usr partition is up-to-date and I have
> binary build-pkgs.
> What's the fastest way to restore the portage-relevant
> data on the root partition?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

if /var/db survived, you can grep for /bin /lib /sbin etc in /var/db and
install the packages hit.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 14 Jun, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag 14 Juni 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> due to a disk crash I've lost my root partition.
>> Unfortunately, the backup version is 4 weeks old.
>> But my /usr partition is up-to-date and I have
>> binary build-pkgs.
>> What's the fastest way to restore the portage-relevant
>> data on the root partition?
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>> Helmut.
>
> if /var/db survived, you can grep for /bin /lib /sbin etc in /var/db and
> install the packages hit.

Thanks, but unfortunately /var was on the root partition.

So, I have to emerge -k --update @world @system .

Helmut.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Montag 14 Juni 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 14 Jun, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Montag 14 Juni 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> due to a disk crash I've lost my root partition.
> >> Unfortunately, the backup version is 4 weeks old.
> >> But my /usr partition is up-to-date and I have
> >> binary build-pkgs.
> >> What's the fastest way to restore the portage-relevant
> >> data on the root partition?
> >>
> >> Many thanks for a hint,
> >> Helmut.
> >
> > if /var/db survived, you can grep for /bin /lib /sbin etc in /var/db and
> > install the packages hit.
>
> Thanks, but unfortunately /var was on the root partition.
>
> So, I have to emerge -k --update @world @system .
>
> Helmut.

except that without /var portage does now know what @system or @world is made
off.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Dru Kargin

On 06/14/10 12:19, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag 14 Juni 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

>>> if /var/db survived, you can grep for /bin /lib /sbin etc in /var/db and
>>> install the packages hit.
>>>
>> Thanks, but unfortunately /var was on the root partition.
>>
>> So, I have to emerge -k --update @world @system .
>>
>> Helmut.
>>
> except that without /var portage does now know what @system or @world is made
> off.

If you have a 4-week old version of /var/db, you can probably use that
for the sake of rebuilding/unpackaging system and world. Hopefully,
system and world won't have changed so much in four weeks that a
ground-up rebuild will be more efficient.

-Dru

Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 14 Jun, Dru Kargin wrote:
> On 06/14/10 12:19, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

>>> Thanks, but unfortunately /var was on the root partition.
>>>
>>> So, I have to emerge -k --update @world @system .
>>>
>>> Helmut.
>>>
>> except that without /var portage does now know what @system or @world is made
>> off.
>>

> If you have a 4-week old version of /var/db, you can probably use that
> for the sake of rebuilding/unpackaging system and world. Hopefully,
> system and world won't have changed so much in four weeks that a
> ground-up rebuild will be more efficient.

Yes, I'm trying that. Though I've encountered some difficulties.
E.g. the 'old' system had gcc-4.4.3-r2 in slot (4.4) while the /usr
partition contained gcc-4.4.4. Trying to emerge gcc-4.4.4 (binary)
portage went into a loop (at least it would have taken more than an hour
on a fast machine). I had to fetch /etc/env.d/gcc from a similar machine
here. The problem seems to be that during installation portage tries to
remove a version which isn't installed anymore.
Meanwhile I could reinstall gcc-4.4.4 which was the biggest corner
(hopefully).

Thanks,
Helmut.