FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Jose Juan Montiel
 
Default emerge gnome fail

Hi,

yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).

I follow all step of
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml but when i
finally go to install gnome... in the latests package (mailclient or
something similar) fail...


I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage
gnome... or how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...


Sorry for this trivial question

Thanks.
 
Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default emerge gnome fail

Jose Juan Montiel writes:

> yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).

Welcome!

> I follow all step of
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml but when i
> finally go to install gnome... in the latests package (mailclient or
> something similar) fail...
>
> I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage
> gnome... or how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...
>
> Sorry for this trivial question

Use emerge --resume --skipfirst to continue where you were, skipping
this package.
Or simply emerge --keep-going <package>, this will continue
automatically even if a package fails.
To compile the package that faileed, there is often a bug report on
bugs.gentoo.org already. Just google for the error message, and if
you're lucky, you will find the solution. If not, just open a new bug
report

Oh, and please open a new thread the next time. This one appears under
the openrc thread.

Wonko
 
Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM
David Abbott
 
Default emerge gnome fail

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Jose Juan Montiel
<josejuan.montiel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).
>
> I follow all step of
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml but when i finally
> go to install gnome... *in the latests package (mailclient or something
> similar) fail...
>
> I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage gnome... or
> how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...
>
> Sorry for this trivial question
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Hi Jose and welcome to Gentoo, check out "man emerge" and some useful
parameters like --skip-first, --resume and --keep-going.
Have Fun
--
David Abbott (dabbott)
 
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Stroller
 
Default emerge gnome fail

Hi Jose,

Please don't hijack threads. Previous discussion & explanation:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg71515.html


On 13 Jun 2010, at 18:32, Jose Juan Montiel wrote:

yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).

I follow all step of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml


The quick install guide is for users who are already experienced with
Gentoo. With a Debian background, you'll probably be fine, but you
might find it worth keeping the full install guide handy.


but when i finally go to install gnome... in the latests package
(mailclient or something similar) fail...


Have you rebooted the system yet? Don't bother about installing Gnome
until you've done so. Be absolutely minimal in your steps, if they're
not directly related to having a working system. A DE is eyecandy -
just get the disks prepared, the files copied, the kernel installed
and the bootloader going. When the system boots for the first time to
a plain console you can then log in as root and add ~jose, cron,
syslog, GUI (although you'll probably want to install GNU screen a
little bit earlier).


I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage
gnome... or how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...


Once you have the system booting you'll be able to copy & paste the
full output of the error. Note that most install CDs also offer SSH,
if you have another, fully-working system.


Stroller.
 
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Jose Juan Montiel
 
Default emerge gnome fail

Hi, this is a resume post from...
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg102327.html

--

I follow all step of
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml but when i
finally go to install gnome... in the latests package (mailclient or
something similar) fail...

Alex Schuster answer:

Use emerge --resume --skipfirst to continue where you were, skipping
this package.
Or simply emerge --keep-going <package>, this will continue
automatically even if a package fails.
To compile the package that faileed, there is often a bug report on
bugs.gentoo.org already. Just google for the error message, and if
you're lucky, you will find the solution. If not, just open a new bug
report

David Abbott suggest:

check out "man emerge" and some useful
parameters like --skip-first, --resume and --keep-going.

Stroller:

Have you rebooted the system yet? Don't bother about installing Gnome
until you've done so. Be absolutely minimal in your steps, if they're
not directly related to having a working system. A DE is eyecandy -
just get the disks prepared, the files copied, the kernel installed
and the bootloader going. When the system boots for the first time to
a plain console you can then log in as root and add ~jose, cron,
syslog, GUI (although you'll probably want to install GNU screen a
little bit earlier).

--

Finally i re-try emerge gnome and package that i thought that fails
was... mail-client/evolution-2.28.3.1 saying... libmail-evolution.so
is not portable. Maybe this is only a warning...

i'll use emerge --keep-going gnome and be patient to compilation
finish... and libmail-evolution.so is not portable apear varios times
from diferent .la and finally go to next package... and compilation
finish successful.

This night i'll finish this steps...
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/es/gnome-config.xml

Thanks all for anwers.


--
This is your badness level.
It's unusually high for someone your size.
We have to fix that.
 
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Jose Juan Montiel
 
Default emerge gnome fail

> Please don't hijack threads. Previous discussion & explanation:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg71515.html
>

Sorry i'll use icedove button reply list, and changed title (i tought
that this create a new message).

Sorry. I'll write a new post with resume of answers.

Thanks.

--
This is your badness level.
It's unusually high for someone your size.
We have to fix that.
 
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default emerge gnome fail

On Monday 14 June 2010 09:43:05 Jose Juan Montiel wrote:

> i'll use icedove button reply list, and changed title (i tought that
> this create a new message).

I don't know what icedove is, but what you need is not to reply to
anything but to start a new message. Changing titles does not start a
new thread, nor should it. Ask yourself: what is the difference between a
/new/ message and a /reply/ to another message?

You should be able just to click on the list address in any email from
the list; that will start a new thread.

--
Rgds
Peter.
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Jose Juan Montiel
 
Default emerge gnome fail

Hi,

> but what you need is not to reply to
> anything but to start a new message. Changing titles does not start a
> new thread, nor should it. Ask yourself: what is the difference between a
> /new/ message and a /reply/ to another message?
>
> You should be able just to click on the list address in any email from
> the list; that will start a new thread.

Thanks, now i know this.

The problem was "reply" put this meta...

To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: emerge gnome fail
References: <4C1352F8.4050105@jaftan.com.au>
<hv10i3$lt7$1@dough.gmane.org> <4C142CC6.4020004@jaftan.com.au>
<hv302u$o6l$1@dough.gmane.org>
In-Reply-To: <hv302u$o6l$1@dough.gmane.org>

And as i see now, in [1] and [2] the tag "In-Reply-To" do "the magic"...

Thanks and sorry again for "hijack threads".

Thanks.

[1] http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html
[2] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

--
This is your badness level.
It's unusually high for someone your size.
We have to fix that.
 
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default emerge gnome fail

On Monday 14 June 2010 10:11:19 Jose Juan Montiel wrote:

> Thanks, now i know this.

We all have to start somewhere - good luck!

--
Rgds
Peter.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org