Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Switching from X to textmode resets textmode to 25 lines

I switch between the X gui and true textmode a lot. To get the most
out of textmode, I set /etc/conf.d/consolefont to

CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10"

This puts the normal VGA console into 80 columns X 40 rows. Setting

vga = 6

in /etc/lilo.conf (or equivalant GRUB config file), in combination with
lat1-10, gives 80 columns x 48 rows. This does *NOT* require
SVGATextmode. And because it uses a 10 pixel high font, it's much more
readable than the 50-row display from using CGA fonts (8 pixels high) on
a VGA.

I've been doing this for years, but now I've run into a problem on one
machine. It has an nVidia G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] card running the nvidia
driver. When I switch from X to a text console ( either shut down X or
use {CTRL-ALT-F1} ), all text consoles get kicked back into 25 row
mode. The bottom 15 or 23 rows are invisible. I can blindly type
"setfont lat1-10" at a command prompt, and get back to 40 or 48 row
mode.

I now login on tty5 and type the setfont command first thing. When
switching out of X, I can {CTRL-ALT-F5}, and hit up-arrow and enter
(bash history) but it's still a nuisance. How can I stop this from
happening?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>