Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Adam

Default openrc conf.d/modules

My modules file contains;
modules="vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} acpi-cpufreq"
module_acpi_cpufreq_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} fuse"
module_fuse_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} usbhid"
module_usbhid_args_2_6="quirks=0x05ac:0x1294:0x04"

But the vm modules arent loaded. dmesg has nothing. What am i missing?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
walt

modules="vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} acpi-cpufreq"
module_acpi_cpufreq_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} fuse"
module_fuse_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} usbhid"
module_usbhid_args_2_6="quirks=0x05ac:0x1294:0x04"

But the vm modules arent loaded. dmesg has nothing. What am i missing?

Are there any references to those modules in /etc/modprobe.d/*conf or
/etc/modules.d/*conf ? If not, there should be. If yes, did you run
update-modules?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Adam

>> My modules file contains;
>
> Which 'modules' file do you mean?

/etc/conf.d/modules

>> modules="vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"
>>
>> modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} acpi-cpufreq"
>> module_acpi_cpufreq_args_2_6=""
>>
>> modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} fuse"
>> module_fuse_args_2_6=""
>>
>> modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} usbhid"
>> module_usbhid_args_2_6="quirks=0x05ac:0x1294:0x04"
>>

>> But the vm modules arent loaded. dmesg has nothing. What am i missing?
>
> Are there any references to those modules in /etc/modprobe.d/*conf or
> /etc/modules.d/*conf ? If not, there should be. If yes, did you run
> update-modules?

There's no reference to the modules in either of those locations before
or after running update-modules (so no i hadnt run it because the openrc
update guide doesnt mention that its required, so I had assumed that its
no longer required).

Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:27:20 +1000, Adam wrote:

> My modules file contains;
> modules="vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"

> But the vm modules arent loaded. dmesg has nothing. What am i missing?

I have no vmware modules in that file, the modules are loaded by the
vmware init script.

--
Neil Bothwick

Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM
walt

modules="vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} acpi-cpufreq"
module_acpi_cpufreq_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} fuse"
module_fuse_args_2_6=""

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} usbhid"
module_usbhid_args_2_6="quirks=0x05ac:0x1294:0x04"

But the vm modules arent loaded. dmesg has nothing. What am i missing?

Are there any references to those modules in /etc/modprobe.d/*conf or
/etc/modules.d/*conf ? If not, there should be. If yes, did you run
update-modules?

There's no reference to the modules in either of those locations before
or after running update-modules (so no i hadnt run it because the openrc
update guide doesnt mention that its required, so I had assumed that its
no longer required).

I missed your reference to openrc last time. Do you see any interesting
messages when you run /etc/init.d/modules restart?

Where do those vm* modules come from?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Adam

> I missed your reference to openrc last time. Do you see any interesting
> messages when you run /etc/init.d/modules restart?

sphinx adam # /etc/init.d/modules restart
* WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
[ ok ]
[ ok ]
[ ok ]
* Autoloaded 3 module(s)

So they're just being missed. I've changed it to
modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} vmmon vmnet vmblock vmci vsock"

And it now works ok.

> Where do those vm* modules come from?

VMware 7.1 (used the vmware installer... messy i know)