Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default ethernet not working on new laptop (dell e6510)

I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
(hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.

I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.

ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.

My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
(presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).

If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.

If I execute the manual
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
allan

Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM

> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
> (hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.
>
> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
>
> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
>
> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
>
> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
>
> If I execute the manual
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
> up
> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> thanks,
> allan

Run 'lspci'.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
> (hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.
>
> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
>
> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
>
> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
>
> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
>
> If I execute the manual
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.

I have the same machine for a while -- returning for audio issues --
and loaded grml 10.4 live cd and had no problems with the dhcp. Try
dhcpcd or pump manually -- I bet its some imcompatibility between the
software and the router.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Zhu Sha Zang

Em 10-06-2010 15:28, Allan Gottlieb escreveu:

> I just purchased a dell latitude
E6510, with a gigabit

> (hardwired) ethernet.* It works fine under windows.

> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the
machine.

> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.

> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.

> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac
address

> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).

> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.

> If I execute the manual

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask
255.255.255.0 up

> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but

> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails

> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> thanks,

> allan

Maybe the system don't know the router.

try this, in addiction of ifconfig

*route add default gw **192.168.1.1

*Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:55:11 -0300 Zhu Sha Zang <zhushazang@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Em 10-06-2010 15:28, Allan Gottlieb escreveu:
>> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
>> (hardwired) ethernet.? It works fine under windows.
>>
>> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
>> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
>>
>> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
>>
>> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
>> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
>>
>> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
>>
>> If I execute the manual
>> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
>> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
>> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> thanks,
>> allan
>>

> Maybe the system don't know the router.
>
> try this, in addiction of ifconfig
>
> *route add default gw **192.168.1.1

I had tried that (the handbook suggested it). I assume you meant the
*'s for emphasis not to be entered

> *Good Luck!

I may need it!

allan

Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:08:49 -0400 bjlockie@lockie.ca wrote:

>> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
>> (hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.
>>
>> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
>> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
>>
>> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
>>
>> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
>> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
>>
>> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
>>
>> If I execute the manual
>> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> up
>> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
>> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
>> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.
>>
> Run 'lspci'.

Thanks. I just now did and it confirms the intel gigabit controller and
(when run with -v) that the e1000e driver is being used.
But I don't see what to do next.

allan

Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:19:58 -0400 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
>> (hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.
>>
>> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
>> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
>>
>> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
>>
>> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
>> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
>>
>> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
>>
>> If I execute the manual
>> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
>> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
>> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.
>>

> I have the same machine for a while -- returning for audio issues --
> and loaded grml 10.4 live cd and had no problems with the dhcp.

Encouraging.

> Try dhcpcd or pump manually -- I bet its some imcompatibility between
> the software and the router.

I tried dhcpcd and it times out on
"waiting for carrier".

pump is not on the gentoo installation disk.

Thanks for the advice; I will try grml next.

allan

Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:19:58 -0400 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>
> > Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> I just purchased a dell latitude E6510, with a gigabit
> >> (hardwired) ethernet. It works fine under windows.
> >>
> >> I now have the (newest) gentoo installation disk (april) in the machine.
> >> The device is recognized and the e1000e module is loaded.
> >>
> >> ifconfig shows the mac address, but no IP addr.
> >>
> >> My router (linksys with the tomato firmware) shows that same mac address
> >> (presumably gotten when the windows machine was connected).
> >>
> >> If I run net-setup eth0, nothing changes.
> >>
> >> If I execute the manual
> >> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.80 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> >> subsequent ifconfig's show this data but
> >> ping 192.168.1.1 (the IP addr of the router) fails
> >> However, 192.168.1.80 succeeds.
> >>

> > I have the same machine for a while -- returning for audio issues --
> > and loaded grml 10.4 live cd and had no problems with the dhcp.
>
> Encouraging.
>
> > Try dhcpcd or pump manually -- I bet its some imcompatibility between
> > the software and the router.
>
> I tried dhcpcd and it times out on
> "waiting for carrier".
>
> pump is not on the gentoo installation disk.
>
> Thanks for the advice; I will try grml next.

This dhcp bug is a bug I have reported, bug # 284631 -- please add your
comments to this bug -- including dhcp version, router brand, etc.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:59:56 -0400 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> At Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:19:58 -0400 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>>
>> > Try dhcpcd or pump manually -- I bet its some imcompatibility between
>> > the software and the router.
>>
>> I tried dhcpcd and it times out on
>> "waiting for carrier".
>>
>> pump is not on the gentoo installation disk.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice; I will try grml next.
>
> This dhcp bug is a bug I have reported, bug # 284631 -- please add your
> comments to this bug -- including dhcp version, router brand, etc.

Done. (I can't find the dhcp version and can't boot it now since I have
grml booted).

For grml I needed to turn off framebuffer and some acpi stuff. But it
has booted and I am starting to prepare the hard disk.

Thanks for sending me to grml.

allan