Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default mkfs.btrfs check for bad blocks - howto

On 10 Jun, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday 10 June 2010 11:15:17 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when creating a file system on a partition on a brand new hard disk,
>> I have always used the '-c' twice to check for bad blocks.
>> This works for ext3 and ext4.
>> Now, I'd like to use a btrfs file system on some partitions but the
>> '-c' option (to mkfs.btrfs or mkbtrfs) seems to have gone.
>> What can I do about this?
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>> Helmut.
>>

> Hi Helmut,
>
> You could either first use mkfs for ext3 or 4 to check, or you could run
> "badblock" manually over the partition first to check.

Thanks, Joost,

but I don't know how to feed the output of badblocks to mkbtrfs.
It looks as if btrfs cannot use a bad block list. Is that true?

Helmut.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Alex Schuster

Helmut Jarausch writes:

> On 10 Jun, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> > You could either first use mkfs for ext3 or 4 to check, or you could
> > run "badblock" manually over the partition first to check.
>
> Thanks, Joost,
>
> but I don't know how to feed the output of badblocks to mkbtrfs.
> It looks as if btrfs cannot use a bad block list. Is that true?

Isn't this obsolete nowadays? SMART capable drives should remap bad
sectors automatically and replace them by spare sectors. Running badblocks
-n might be necessary though in order to make the drive acess every block.

So I would not trust a drive any more that actually still shows bad
blocks.

Wonko