Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default mkfs.btrfs check for bad blocks - howto

Hi,

when creating a file system on a partition on a brand new hard disk,
I have always used the '-c' twice to check for bad blocks.
This works for ext3 and ext4.
Now, I'd like to use a btrfs file system on some partitions but the
'-c' option (to mkfs.btrfs or mkbtrfs) seems to have gone.
What can I do about this?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 10 June 2010 11:15:17 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when creating a file system on a partition on a brand new hard disk,
> I have always used the '-c' twice to check for bad blocks.
> This works for ext3 and ext4.
> Now, I'd like to use a btrfs file system on some partitions but the
> '-c' option (to mkfs.btrfs or mkbtrfs) seems to have gone.
> What can I do about this?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

Hi Helmut,

You could either first use mkfs for ext3 or 4 to check, or you could run
"badblock" manually over the partition first to check.

--
Joost